Echo Park and Mar Vista, CA
826LA English Language Learner Camp Summer Associate
(Echo Park and Mar Vista)
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
826LA is looking for a team of Summer Associates to assist in planning and running our 4-week English Language Learners (ELL) Summer Camp. Summer Associates work out of either our Mar Vista or Echo Park locations. 826LA's ELL camp works with students ages 7-12 who are classified as ELL learners, all from LAUSD Title 1 schools. The goal for ELL Camp is to support these students as they become more confident writers, enthusiastic readers, strong communicators, and published authors. Summer Associates work with 826LA staff to implement lesson plans, and interact with and oversee volunteers and students.
The Summer Associates position is a full-time (40 hours a week) and short-term service opportunity. Applicants must be available between June 5 and August 13.
Summer Associates job responsibilities include:
- Running 826LA’s 4-week English-Language Learner (ELL) Camp, including the execution of daily lesson plans based on weekly themes;
- Managing two sessions daily of up to 30 students each between the ages of 7-12, all with different learning styles, ability levels, and language skills;
- Overseeing volunteer-student relationships to ensure a positive volunteer experience and keep students engaged and excited about learning;
- Working closely with team members, including staff, interns, and fellow Summer Camp Assistants.
Qualifications for the Summer Camp Assistant position include:
- Minimum of eighteen years old;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Experience working with children, including relevant volunteer work;
- Available between June 5th through August 13th;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong communication skills, including ease with public speaking;
- Background or ongoing experience in education preferred;
- Written and spoken Spanish-language proficiency preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
All 826LA Summer Associate positions are hosted through the All Ways Up Foundation, and applications are accepted through the AmeriCorps website. Please indicate in your application that you are interested in applying for the English Language Learner Camp Summer Associate position at 826LA.
We highly recommend that you turn in your application by May 8.