About: Mission & History
Increasing Support for the Arts in LA County
In serving a region of more than 10 million residents, Arts for LA continually seeks opportunities to engage the diversity of artists, organizations, and arts and culture lovers that help make Los Angeles County the vibrant and creative center that it is.
Arts for LA helps communities throughout Los Angeles County advocate for greater investment in the arts. Our mission is to foster a healthy environment in which arts and culture in the region may thrive and be accessible to all in Los Angeles. To achieve this important goal, Arts for LA:
- Advocates for increased support for artists and arts organizations
- Assists local school communities in developing and supporting arts education plans
- Fosters dialogue among policy makers, elected officials, and the public about important issues that affect the arts in their local communities and across the region
- Provides individuals with clear and direct ways to support the arts
- Connects a diversity of arts stakeholders into a network of informed and mobilized arts advocates
In each of these activities, we partner with artists, arts organizations, parents, neighborhood groups, elected/appointed officials, school districts, the business community, and other stakeholders to educate the public about the important role the arts play in Los Angeles.
Arts for LA, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, was incorporated in 2006 by a group of arts leaders who had met informally for years to discuss and address the region’s most pressing arts issues. Since that time, Arts for LA has expanded its reach and deepened its roots in neighborhoods and school districts across Los Angeles County. Today, Arts for LA includes 20,000 subscribers, 240 members, 7 advocacy teams and 3 full-time staff members.
The work of Arts for LA is made possible by a wide network of funders and partners. We are a proud affiliate of Americans for the Arts, and a partner in Arts for All: Los Angeles County Blueprint for Arts Education.
Arts for LA receives generous support from The Boeing Company, California Community Foundation, the Department of Cultural Affairs Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the National Endowment for the Arts, and hundreds of member organizations and individuals.