ACTIVATE ACTION PROJECT
The ACTIVATE Action Project is an opportunity for ACTIVATE fellows to construct a theory of change and engage in direct action that will ignite or continue action and change efforts in their school district or city communities.
- ACTIVATE fellows will design and implement an Action Project from January – May 2017. Projects can be done individually, in pairs, or in small groups with other Fellows.
- Projects should aim to achieve a “SMART” goal.
- Fellows should enlist the support of a “coalition” or group of key stakeholders in their community who will help to accomplish the goal as led by the ACTIVATE Fellow(s). It is recommended that fellows engage in a Collective Listening process (see attached overview) with those stakeholders to inform what action steps should be taken throughout the project.
- Projects should relate to and/or advance existing city or school district policies/goals/initiatives as identified in district Local Control and Accountability Plans (Arts Education) or city policies/ arts plans (Cultural Policy).
- Projects must be documented throughout the process (see below). This documentation must be presented to Arts for LA by May 2017.
- As part of the Action Project, fellows are required to set up a meeting with elected officials [Arts Education: School Board Member(s) and Cultural Policy: Mayor/City Councilmember(s)] to discuss arts initiatives for your community. This meeting should take place by the end of April 2017.
Select fellows will be invited to present their projects at the ACTIVATE Culmination Celebration in May 2017. It is important to note that projects can evolve and should be designed with consideration for continued advocacy action after the ACTIVATE program concludes.
Fellows will document their Action Project through one of the following:
- Short Video (3-5 minutes)
- Visual art piece
- Online multi-media webpage
- Short story narrative (1000 words or less)
- Other creative narrative
Documentation should tell the story from idea inception to project execution to outcomes and next steps.
Documentation should be completed by May 1, 2017 and shared with Arts for LA via the submission form below.
Arts for LA will feature select projects on the Arts for LA website. Additionally, Arts for LA will work with different groups or news outlets to document action projects and work throughout LA County. Research teams, news outlets, and Arts for LA staff may interview participants to be featured in various publications.
ACTION PROJECT DOCUMENTATION SUBMISSION FORM
The information you submit on this form will be used to generate your ACTIVATE Fellow Profile on the Arts for LA Website.
For examples of past Fellow Profiles, including action project descriptions and links to project websites and materials, visit the ACTIVATE Fellow Directory.