California Alliance for Arts Education
The California Alliance for Arts Education seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant who will provide administrative support for the Alliance’s Pasadena office.
The Alliance is in its fourth decade of working to build a brighter future for our state by making the arts a core part of every child’s education. Over its 36-year history, it has advanced its mission to advocate for high quality arts education in PreK-12 California public schools by providing policy expertise and by mobilizing a statewide network of advocates and allied partners. With an annual budget of $1,300,000, five staff and several part-time contractors, it is the only statewide organization that brings together all primary constituencies for arts education, including arts organizations, K-12 teachers, professional teacher associations, state and local education departments, professional development providers, parents and PTAs, and interested community members in higher education and business.
The California Alliance serves both as a field builder and technical assistance provider, working with its broad cross-section of constituents to develop policy and advocate for change at both state and local levels. It has played a leadership role in advancing successful strategies to address key issues for arts education:
- In 2005-06 and 2007-08, the Alliance played a major role in the successful campaigns that resulted in the largest known state-funded expenditure for arts education in public schools in California and nationwide
- In 2008, anticipating the shift toward local control in school budgets, the Alliance launched the Local Advocacy Network empowering communities to advance the arts through local organizing and leadership training
- In 2011, the Alliance began to establish a policy pathway for arts education strategies to be used to achieve Title I goals using Title I funding. This effort has gained national attention and has been implemented district wide in the San Diego Unified School District.
- In 2012, the Alliance launched the Student Voices Campaign, successfully engaging hundreds of students in creative advocacy for the arts
- In 2016, the Alliance lead a campaign that resulted in the historic passage of Senate bill 916, which established teaching credentials for Dance and Theatre
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative support to Alliance staff
- Coordinates logistics and prepares materials for meetings and special events, including board and Policy Council meetings
- Schedules meetings and calls
- Records and distributes meeting notes
- Handles phone calls for the Alliance’s main number
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail
- Manages Alliance calendar
- Provides technology trouble-shooting and support
- Creates and updates presentations
- Manages board materials section online and updates content
- Provides research support
- Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies
- Maintains files
- Proofreads materials
- Codes invoices
- Provides data entry support
- Provides input on and support for ongoing projects
- Keeps current on best practices for administrative systems for small nonprofits and recommends new approaches to improve organizational effectiveness
- Represents the California Alliance to the public, works effectively with constituents, including Board members, Policy Council members, nonprofit arts organizations, independent contractors, vendors, and the general public
- Evaluates administrative processes on an as needed basis, making recommendations for future improvements or enhancements
Education: Bachelor’s degree.
Experience: 1-2 years of administrative experience preferred. Experience working in arts organizations and/or non-profit organizations a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary organizational, logistics, time management, project management and coordination skills
- Stellar editing and proofreading skills
- Advanced knowledge using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Macintosh platform required. Experience with PC platform, Salesforce, or other CRM a plus. Experience with graphic design programs a plus.
- General technological savvy
- Strong online and database research and reporting skills
- Ability to work cooperatively on a variety of projects, interacting effectively with Alliance staff and contractors, Board members, funders/donors, program constituents and participants, volunteers, and the community
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments with accuracy and within stated timeframe
- Flexibility in adapting to the current needs of the organization or project
- Creativity, curiosity, and a good sense of humor
- Experience, involvement, or interest in the arts or arts education a plus
- Excellent analytic skills
- Friendly, outgoing professional presence in telephone and face-to-face communication
- Meets or exceeds goals set by staff
- Manages portfolio of work and provides high level of service to Alliance stakeholders and staff
- Interacts effectively with staff, contractors, arts education constituency and the community
Compensation: Full-time, non-exempt position. Commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, three (3) references, and salary history as ONE (1) attachment in pdf format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state “Administrative Assistant Application” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
To learn more about the organization go to: www.artsed411.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Alliance values diversity and encourages minorities, women and individuals with disabilities to apply.