Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (LACO)
Los Angeles, CA
Reports To: Director of Advancement & Leadership Giving
To support the Orchestra’s advancement department in expanding its major gifts program through prospect research, accurate database management and effective communications.
Scope & Responsibilities
The advancement & prospect research associate supports the execution of LACO’s major gift fundraising program and the advancement team’s efforts to raise $3 million annual from individuals while building the foundation for special project and endowment giving over the next three to five years. The associate also serves as the primary database manager, actively works to develop new systems to expand LACO’s prospect management and tracking processes and provides general administrative support to the advancement department and office. Specific responsibilities include:
Major Gift Fundraising Support
- Research current and prospect major gift prospects and create donor profiles using industry best practices
- Utilize and maintain the prospect research software and train advancement team
- Draft donor correspondence including pledge letters and gift agreements
- Arrange all Board development committee meetings, including liaising with co-chairs, creating agendas, handouts and presentations; take meeting minutes and distribute action items;
- Manage internal pipeline meetings including creating and running reports of staff activities, prospect ratings and delinquent pledges
- Assist in scheduling meetings with prospects, including updating and compiling LACO collateral
Patron Database Management
- Work to expand LACO’s use of SalesForce database and reporting system in support of major gift fundraising needs
- Oversee accurate gift processing by opening and tracking all LACO mail; creating daily donation logs; entering gifts into patron database; updating of contact information; making bank deposits and generating daily reports for director of finance
- Implement and maintain the pledge tracking and fulfillment process
- Assist with the donation acknowledgement process including writing letters, managing lists and personalization
- Oversee accurate entry of contact reports and staff assignments into database
Administrative and Concert Support
- Provide support at concert donor lounges, special events, education programs and other events as needed
- Contribute to smooth administrative office operations including answering phones, filing and coordinating calendars and communicating across departments
- Assist other departments and work as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure eff ective and efficient operations as needed
- Complete other advancement and general office tasks as needed and assigned.
The advancement & prospect research associate is an enthusiastic, organized, personable, tech-savvy, detail-oriented problem solver with excellent communication and critical - thinking skills. The advancement & prospect research associate has the ability to respond both quickly and with imagination to a variety of simultaneous challenges and opportunities. T he advancement & prospect research associate will be able to:
- Think analytically and work independently while handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Pay close attention to detail and meet project deadlines consistently
- Shuffle priorities efficiently and assist where needed
- Interact effectively and congenially with a wide variety of colleagues and constituents , including Board members
- Maintain confidentiality with sensitive donor information
- Be an effective collaborator on team projects
- Apply proactive thinking to anticipate obstacles and opportunities for improvement
- Demonstrate excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Scheduling flexibility including evening and weekend hours at concerts and special events required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook required.
- 2 - 3 years successful working experience in a development department, preferably an arts organization, with an understanding of the mechanics of a successful major gift fundraising operation preferred.
- Prospect research and management experience preferred.
- Experience with database management or CRM (Customer Relationship Management) interface preferred; familiarity with Patron Manager or SalesForce preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
40 hours per week maximum. Some overtime may be required during heavy events periods. EOE
Please email resume, comprehensive cover letter and 2 - 3 page writing sample to: email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
About the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (LACO), proclaimed “America's finest chamber orchestra” by Public Radio International and “resplendent” by the Los Angeles Times, has established itself among the world's top musical ensembles. Since 1997, LACO has performed under the baton of acclaimed conductor and pianist Jeffrey Kahane, hailed by critics as “visionary” and “a conductor of uncommon intellect, insight and musical integrity” with “undeniable charisma,” “ effortless musicality and extraordinary communicative gifts.” Under Kahane’s leadership, the Orchestra maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. During its almost 50 - year history, the Orchestra has made 31 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, performed across North America and garnered eight ASCAP Awards for Adventurous Programming. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, LACO presents its Orchestral Series on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre/Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; Baroque Conversations at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall; and Westside Connections chamber music series, designed to illustrate the relationship between music and other artistic disciplines, at the Moss Theater in Santa Monica. LACO also presents a Concert Gala, an annual film event, featuring the Orchestra performing the score live, and several fundraising salons each year. Additionally, LACO outreach programs, Meet the Music, Community Partners, Campus to Concert Hall and the LACO/USC Thornton Strings Mentorship Program, reach thousand s of young people annually, nurturing future musicians and composers as well as inspiring a love of classical music.