American Jewish University
Los Angeles, CA
We are looking for a highly skilled, motivated administrator and coordinator, versed in the art world – in LA and beyond - to join AJU’s Arts Program. We need a super detail-oriented person, with incredible personal skills and customer service experience. Background in education is also a plus.
The Arts Program Associate will work to enhance Arts at AJU. We are an active space of engagement and learning, which is home to various communities. The Arts at AJU program outreaches across LA through various initiatives, including exhibitions, talks, lectures, tours and cross-organizational collaborations.
The Arts Program Associate will be the main contact person for partners and AJU’s departments, including students, instructors, volunteers and interns, as well as artists and scholars who take part in our events and activities.
The Arts Program Associate will work closely with Whizin Center’s Assistant Dean to manage and maintain our galleries and art collection. The Associate will help put in motion an emergent Arts Education Program, while handling all administrative aspects of a Fine Arts Program, rotating exhibitions, and related events.
- Oversee and execute all administrative duties for the Fine Arts program, arts related initiatives, and the art collection.
- Provide administrative support for exhibitions and related events in both campuses, and for the AJU Art Collection, including the Fine Arts Advisory Committee.
- Coordinate gallery exhibition schedule and work in coordination with appropriate staff members, artists and vendors, to execute installations, de-installations, and additional events.
- Execute the creative vision of the curatorial team, and support the production of events (openings, receptions, talks, etc.) in various gallery spaces.
- Communicate with community partners before, during and after events in the gallery and AJU’s art spaces.
- Coordinate tours and various activities at AJU’s Sondra and Marvin Smalley Sculpture Garden.
- With the Assistant Dean, draft all contracts and agreements with artists, instructors, guides, performers, production teams, sponsors, and vendors.
- Maintain gallery storage and inventory records.
- Oversee the digitization process of the collection, including communication with appropriate staff members, and update the Assistant Dean routinely with progress.
- In coordination with the Assistant Dean, oversee and execute the relabeling process of works from the collection that are displayed in AJUs public spaces.
- Drafting community emails and maintaining contact lists, and event registration pages (and maintaining RSVP spreadsheets).
- Updating and maintaining community contact database and digital event files.
- Oversee the administrative duties and implementation of classes, art education programs, art-based tours, educational fellowships, and new art initiatives.
- Act as the liaison to organizational partners and our teachers.
- Communicates with fine arts instructors and students: respond to their daily needs for classes, gather information regarding syllabus and material fees before term begins, draft contracts, gather scheduling information for marketing purposes and handle all administrative aspects of the Fine Arts program.
- Consistently correspond with teachers keeping them on track to meet deadlines.
- Update community calendars, both internal and external (press, greater community, etc.).
- Provide needed materials for marketing purposes to the marketing department.
- Recruit and engage volunteers from all areas of the community.
- Coordinate volunteers, interns and work-study students.
- Work with Facilities department to ensure the proper scheduling and set-ups of event/class spaces.
- Enhance communications around events and programs, utilizing social media on a daily basis, in coordination with the Assistant Dean.
- Perform all other needed duties for programs, series and lectures that take place in the framework of Arts at AJU.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in the art world, preferably in an institutional setting (gallery, museum, academic gallery, etc.).
- Passion for community building and arts education.
- Experience in events coordination.
- Ability to work on a number of projects at the same time, and oversee their successful execution.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, and maintain daily communication with Whizin instructors and students.
- Excellent collaboration skills to be a successful member of our small team and interact with other AJU departments and external partners, including museums, galleries, non-for profits, people of all ages, and community organizations.
- Proficiency of the LA art world and knowledge of the international scene.
- Experience with art collections and their maintenance is a plus.
- Incredible attention to detail.
This is a full time position based in Los Angeles. The salary ranges from $31,000 to $34,000 per year plus benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com