Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
Los Angeles, CA
The Assistant Registrar will be responsible for coordinating and processing new acquisitions to the Permanent Collection in accordance with the museum’s acquisition procedures. In addition, this position will maintain departmental budgets and provide administrative support to the Head Registrar and registration department for permanent collection, loans, and exhibitions; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or a related field required
- At least two years of registration experience in an art museum (preferably as permanent full-time staff but internship experience can be substituted)
- Knowledge of proper art handling procedures
- Good working knowledge of modern and contemporary art preferred
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail
- Experience with Windows Office applications required (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Knowledge of and experience using collection management software (preferably TMS)
- Experience using digital cameras and downloading/manipulating digital files
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, function independently and as part of a team, prioritize and manage deadlines, and be flexible
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on an occasional basis as needed
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- Arrange and schedule shipment of new acquisitions to MOCA.
- Produce and track forms including Deeds of Gifts, Purchase Agreements, certificates of insurance, shipping receipts and labels.
- Correspond with donors, galleries, fine art shippers, and other vendors in a professional manner verbally and in writing.
- Draft agendas and related correspondence for three collection committees; compile, upload and email information to committee members.
- Catalog and create condition reports of new acquisitions for collection records and files
- Create physical files and TMS database records, and generate TMS reports as needed
- Manage departmental budgets, process invoices for payment, and maintain budget spreadsheets
- Assist and support department in ongoing projects including permanent collection, incoming and outgoing loans, exhibitions, and upcoming collection storage renovation and re-organization
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers (including e-mail and databases) and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.