The Underground Museum
Los Angeles, CA
Job Title: Bookstore Associate
The Underground Museum seeks a Bookstore Associate to work part time in its bookstore. The position includes all daily shop operations: customer service, in-store merchandising, inventory management, cash management, coordination of purchasing, receiving, and consignment artist relations.
Customer and Visitor Services
- Serve as first contact for all museum visitors.
- Inform visitors about exhibitions, events and volunteer opportunities as necessary.
- Create a pleasant shopping experience for all bookstore guests.
- Provide knowledgable background information on merchandise and books carried in store. • Keep bookstore clean and dust-free.
- Arrange merchandise and suggest new display techniques.
- Works with Museum Founders, Director and Faith Childs-Davis on production of UM Merchandise. This includes coordinating with designers and trafficking designs for approvals; sourcing and ordering materials; coordinating with manufacturers and keeping production process on schedule.
- Works with Museum President and Director to create annual UM Holiday Gift for donors. This includes coordinating designers and manufacturers; plus overseeing gift distribution.
- Works with Director on distribution of Feb Mag publication to museum affiliates and other retailers.
- Coordinate with MOCA bookstore on MOCA Merchandise orders when appropriate.
- Works with Director and Community Outreach Coordinator on book orders.
- Works with Faith Childs-Davis to order new non-book merchandise when necessary.
- Coordinates with museum staff to make sure someone is on-site to receive book and merchandise shipments.
- Enters all new stock into Square inventory system.
- Oversees maintenance of stock, displays, signs, and inventory system.
- Performs inventory once per month utilizing physical and computer-based methods to check for theft and shrinkage.
- Works with Director to maintain cash drawer.
- Work with Faith Childs-Davis to develop the museum’s online store.
- Work with Community Outreach Coordinator to promote bookstore merchandise on Instagram.
- Works with Director of museum to complete monthly sales reports.
- Provide Director with invoices for all book and merchandise orders.
- Maintain clear and organized files for bookstore orders and consignment agreements. • Deliver consignment checks to vendors.
- Works with museum staff to complete cash reporting spreadsheet.
The Bookstore Associate will also be responsible for providing some administrative support to the Director. This may include duties such as managing and maintaining administrative files for the museum, not just the bookstore, and being on site for events. The Underground Museum is a small organization and all staff help beyond their immediate responsibilities on an as-needed basis.
The Bookstore will report to the Director, and work closely with the bookstore’s Merchandise Buyer on merchandise direction.
Hourly rate to commiserate with experience. Range is $15-20/hour. Previous retail experience a plus.
Time commitment is approximately 2-3 days per week on site, with various emails and phone calls made in between. Candidate must be able to work evenings and weekends as required for events and programs.
This is an independent contractor position. Health, retirement, and company benefits are not included.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line BOOKSTORE ASSOCIATE. Thank you!