Kidspace Children's Museum
- Pasadena, CA
Kidspace Children’s Museum’s mission is to nurture the potential of all children through kid-driven experiences, inspiring them to be joyful, active learners.
Kidspace provides “Kid-Driven” experiences such as exhibits, programs, and events which support science, technology, arts and math (STEAM) principles, music, literacy, and cultural awareness. Kidspace offers comprehensive experiences that pair hands-on enrichment activities with self-directed play and learning. Kidspace connects children and their families to an outdoor experience by weaving many educational activities into outdoor spaces to promote deeper connections to nature and inspire active play.
While Kidspace’s primary audience is children ages 0-10, the museum is truly an intergenerational experience which offers children and caregivers of all ages and backgrounds a variety of hands-on, play-based experiences. Kidspace continually develops new exhibits and programs rooted in imaginative learning through art, science, and the natural world with outdoor play, informal education, and 21st-Century skill building including critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and citizenship. Through collaborative classes and exhibits, Kidspace also provides opportunities for children and caregivers to learn together as well as opportunities for adults to increase their knowledge of early childhood education.
Kidspace Children’s Museum has been awarded a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts’ ArtWorks program to support an Artist-in-Residency project to celebrate the rich history of the museum’s surrounding area and expose early learners to the ways in which art connects to the community. The project will culminate with a permanent art installation on Kidspace’s campus.
Kidspace looks forward to welcoming a resident artist who will help the museum achieve the following goals:
- Provide children with the opportunity to participate in an authentic, collaborative art experience.
- Use art to meaningfully connect people to each other and with Kidspace as a community center for learning and working together.
- Create a collaborative art installation that will be installed permanently outside.
Artists invited to participate must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate willingness and (ideally) experience working with children and families in a public area.
- Artists must be comfortable working outside and flexible with working environments.
- Use natural or nature-inspired materials.
- Use materials that are non-toxic, safe for children 0 to 10 years of age, and are able to withstand heavy use and substantial interaction.
- Be willing to participate in two Q & A sessions at two ArtNight Pasadena (Fall 2018 and Spring 2019) events.
- Commit to being at KCM at least weekly (with reasonable exception).
- Agree to participate in project evaluation.
- Agree to participate in promotions and publicity for project as well as share information about the project on their own social media channels.
- Work with Kidspace staff and independent evaluator to complete all project reporting.
- Artist must be familiar with Pasadena and demonstrate an appreciation for the diversity of the community’s people and natural landscape.
- Be able to work during regular museum operating hours where the artist will interact with school groups and other day guests.
- Participate in structured workshops as well as drop-in experiences.
- The artist will be expected to be on-site at Kidspace regularly throughout the course of the year (one to two times a week with adjustments made for circumstances such as holidays, vacation, illness), including the following:
- Monthly (except September) “Free Family Night” which is aimed at increasing accessibility for economically disadvantaged families.
- Twice yearly (spring and fall) ArtNight Pasadena events which are free evenings of art, music, and entertainment in Pasadena which include free shuttles from location to location;
- During regular museum operating hours where the artist will interact with school groups and other day guests.
o Call for Artists goes live.
o Site Walkthrough and Information Session – Interested artists are greatly encouraged to attend a tour of the KCM facility followed by a brief question and answer session. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
o Deadline for Artist Submissions
o Kidspace staff will begin candidate interviews.
o Artist selection will be announced.
o Artist begins collaboration with KCM staff and prepares project to go live to the public.
o Project goes live to the public.
o Project completion and grand unveiling.
NEA Grant is funding $12,000.00 for artist participation and $5,000.00 for tools and materials.
How To Apply
To apply for consideration, applicants must provide:
- Artist Name and contact information.
- Career summary, artist resume, and/or short bio.
- Artist Statement (250 words maximum).
- Works Samples
- 5 to 10 images.
- Links to artist website or image links are acceptable.
- Links to video content are acceptable.
Submissions may be sent to: email@example.com
Digital submission only. Hard copy submissions will not be considered. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered.