Upcoming Candidate Forums - Updated
We encourage Los Angeles County residents to attend their local candidate forums and show their support for the arts in schools and civic life by posing a question about arts & culture and arts education .
To view a list of upcoming forums please visit our Civic Calender.
- 1 in 7 jobs in Los Angeles County is part of the larger creative economy (2013 Otis Report on the Creative Economy)
- 96% of Arts for LA supporters are registered voters (Arts for LA survey)
- Arts and culture significantly enhances human development in Los Angeles County (LA2050 Report)
- Los Angeles has the highest concentration of working artists and arts professionals in the nation (LA2050 Report)
- Our arts sector is a collaborative powerhouse as witnessed through Pacific Standard Time’s region-wide participation, which generated $280.5 million in economic activity (Pacific Standard Time Economic Impact Analysis)
- Los Angeles is home to over 5,000 fashion labels and has more fashion jobs than any other American city (Fashion's Night Out)
- The arts funnel $1.3 billion into the city in tax revenues (Otis Report on the Creative Economy)
ArtsDay is an annual opportunity for Angelenos to celebrate the contributions of arts and culture to the community and to talk with their elected officials about why the arts are important to us.
Spring 2015 Arts & Culture Candidate Surveys
Arts for LA invites eligible candidates in Los Angeles County elections to participate in our Spring 2015 Arts & Culture Candidate Surveys.
We thank the following organizations for supporting this round of Arts & Culture Candidate Surveys:
Arts for LA Board Member Jessica Cusick Honored by French Government for Work in Arts & Culture
The French Consul General in Los Angeles, Axel Cruau, announced that the Santa Monica's Cultural Affairs Manager, Jessica Cusick, has been named a Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
VOTE: LAUSD District 1 Special Election to Be Held August 12
Candidates Alex Johnson and George McKenna are vying for election to the District 1 seat on the Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education. The seat, formerly held by the late Marguerite Poindexter LaMotte, has been vacant since her sudden death last December.
Serving the Same Students: Education Equity & the Arts
by Amy Sauceda
“When we talk about this issue we have to start with equity and what does that mean,” says Ryan Smith, director of education programs and policy for The United Way of Greater Los Angeles. “We need to talk more about providing students with the resources they need.”
Arts for LA's Danielle Brazell to Lead LA's Dept of Cultural Affairs
Arts for LA is pleased to announce Executive Director Danielle Brazell has been nominated by Mayor Eric Garcetti to serve as the new general manager of the Cultural Affairs Department of the City of Los Angeles. Her work with the department will begin pending confirmation by the Los Angeles City Council.
RSVP for ArtsDay 2014 by April 10!
ArtsDay 2014 is just over a week away! We are so excited to welcome everyone back to City Hall for our annual celebration of arts and culture in Los Angeles.
Sign Up Your Organization to be a ”Friend of ArtsDay”
Do you think maintaining strong, positive relationships with elected officials is a good idea for the arts community? Then add your organization to our growing list of “Friends of ArtsDay.”
#ArtsDayLA T-shirt Design Competition Open until March 16; Winner Gets $500
Arts for LA invites submissions of a visual design and a “tagline” to be screenprinted on the front of 500 limited edition t-shirts, which will be worn by arts advocates attending ArtsDay 2014.