Burbank Primary Election Results
With 9,869 votes cast last week in the Burbank City Council election, candidate Bob Frutos captured a solid majority with 5,262 votes and has been elected to a seat on the council.
Arts & Culture Candidate Survey FAQ
Jump to a question:
Ask Arts & Culture Questions at Local Candidate Forums
Candidate forums give voters an opportunity learn about candidates’ positions directly from the candidates themselves. Arts for LA encourages arts-minded voters to participate in their local forums to ensure candidates running for city and school board seats have an opportunity to discuss their support for our lively arts and culture communities.
Register to Vote by 2/19 for Spring Elections
Los Angeles residents have until February 19 to initiate or update their voter registration with the State of California’s Secretary of State. Voter registration is now available online for residents holding a California driver’s license or identification card and a Social Security number.
Spring 2013 Los Angeles City Council Candidate Surveys
Each election cycle, Arts for LA invites candidates in elections throughout Los Angeles County to participate in our arts and culture candidate surveys.
Serve as an LA CIty Election Pollworker
Arts for LA encourages artists, arts leaders, and arts supporters to participate in the civic process this spring by serving as a election pollworker.
Spring 2013 Candidate Forums Guide
Questions for Candidate Forums
Arts & Culture
- What was a meaningful arts and cultural experience you had growing up?
- What do you believe the role of City Council should be in the development and support of the region's cultural infrastructure?
- How would you champion modifications to, or expansion of, the city's current funding stream for local arts and culture?
- What three things would you do to deepen the city's investment in its creative economy (cultural tourism, indirect and direct jobs, nonprofit and for profit)?
- What is your opinion of your district's current approach to a complete education that includes the arts?
- What role do you think the arts can play in supporting key priorities of the district such as reducing the dropout rate, closing the achievement gap, and preparing more students for college eligibility and/or meaningful careers?
- In light of the current budget crisis, the state is now allowing local school districts flexibility to redirect their allocation from the “art and music block grant” to fund other local priorities. How would you balance the need to invest in arts education with the other financial challenges facing your district?
- What meaningful experiences with art (visual, dance, drama, music) did you have growing up? Please tell us about those experiences.
Los Angeles County will be home to many elections from February - June 2013. Arts for LA will keep this list of Candidate Forums as complete as possible between now and the election dates.
Register to Vote
Register to Vote Online
Californians with a social security number and a valid California driver's license or California-issued identification card may complete registration online at the California Secretary of State's website.
Voter registration may also be completed at a Department of Motor Vehicles location or by filling out and mailing in a paper form. Instructions for accessing the form are available online.
A majority of Californians support increased investment in public education, yet both statewide initiatives that would bring more money to public schools lag in the polls. How did California get in this mess? Earlier this year, at least three different political, ideological and educational “interests” were mobilizing for the ballot.