Manhattan Beach Ceramics Studio, Live Oak Park
Ceramics Lab Tech – Part Time
The City of Manhattan Beach Parks and Rec Department is looking to hire a part time Ceramics Studio Laboratory Technician for the Manhattan Beach Ceramics Studio at Live Oak Park.
Hours: Up to 28hrs a week, flexible hours including evenings and weekends
High School Diploma or GED, Associates Degree preferred,
Education and interest in Ceramics a must
Must have good written and verbal communication skills
Must be able to sit, stand and/or walk for prolonged periods of time and lift objects up to 75lb
The City of Manhattan Beach Parks & Recreation Department Cultural Arts Division is looking for a Ceramic Laboratory Technician. This position is responsible for loading and firing kilns, kiln maintenance, glaze mixing, studio and supply maintenance, and other laboratory tasks as needed. The Cultural Arts Division staff will provide supervision and management to achieve efficient and effective studio operations.
The right candidate must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Successfully load/unload and fire gas and electric kilns in Reduction and Oxidation atmospheres
- Mix and prepare glazes, stains, slips and other necessary formulations
- Maintain studio operations including cleaning, organizing, caring for equipment, placing orders for supplies and fulfilling other needs of a functioning ceramics studio
- Maintain inventory levels of clay, dry materials, glazes, slips, tools and other items as needed
- Interact and clearly communicate with other staff, instructors, students and management; including via email and phone
- Light carpentry work such as building or installing shelving, tables, lockers etc.
- Ability to repair wheels, kilns and other equipment a big plus!