Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation
Echo Park, CA
TITLE: Communications Intern
LOCATION: Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA
TIME COMMITMENT: Part-Time (16-24 hours/week for 10 weeks)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 10, 2017
INTERNSHIP DATES: Monday, March 27 – Friday, June 2, 2017
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives
COMPENSATION: Honorarium, up to $2,000 (determined by time commitment); College credit possible, please check with your academic advisor to make arrangements
Do you love music? Do you love curating and creating original content? Do you want to gain hands-on experience communicating messages to the public on behalf of a national arts organization? If so, join our growing communications team this spring!
The Communications Department shapes the branding, marketing and communications strategy for the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, and provides communications support for the Levitt AMP concert sites across the country, as needed.
The Communications Intern will help support Levitt’s internal and external communications—helping to build and strengthen internal processes while curating and creating original web and social media content to promote the upcoming Levitt concert season. This intern will also be assigned brand-building projects that tell the broader Levitt story.
- Perform artist research
- Gather information for upcoming concerts at Levitt AMP locations: artist media, dates and times
- Publish original written content on Levitt websites:
- Levitt AMP website (levittamp.org): Craft concert pages for Levitt AMP Music Series in 15 locations
- Main website – reVerb (blog.levitt.org): Author up to three blog posts about topics ranging from music, to arts access, to creative placemaking-related stories tailored to your specific interests for national Levitt blog, reVerb
- Report on recent Levitt concerts, events and venue activation on social media
- Track media and social media coverage of growing network of Levitt venues and concert sites across the country, helping to identify potential social media content in the process
- Support development and maintenance of Levitt photography archive
- Help populate Levitt artist database
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Must currently be enrolled in college/university as a junior or senior
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Communications, Marketing or Nonprofit/Arts Administration
- Some experience in graphic design and/or photography, a plus
- Well-versed and current in social media platforms, tools and trends
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for Levitt’s mission
The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation is a national private foundation that exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We empower communities to transform neglected outdoor spaces into welcoming destinations where the power of free, live music brings people together and invigorates community life.
The Levitt Foundation realizes its mission through two key programs: the permanent Levitt music venue program, six currently in operation with six in development, and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards, an annual grants competition. All Levitt concerts feature acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in a broad range of music genres. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. As an example of the high caliber talent presented across the Levitt network, the 2017 GRAMMY nominees include 25 artists who have performed on Levitt stages in recent years.
In 2015, the Levitt AMP Music Series was launched and will return for its third year this spring—bringing the Levitt program to 15 small to mid-sized towns and cities across America through 150 free concerts (for a list of 2017 Levitt AMP winners visit levittamp.org).
With more than 450 free Levitt concerts this year in 22 towns and cities, we are looking for a motivated, creative and enthusiastic Communications Intern with strong writing and organizational skills to help us spread the word about the concerts and Levitt’s impact in communities!
Email cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com, including “Communications Internship” in the subject line.
To learn more about the national Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.