Los Angeles, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
Learn the ins and outs of communications for a non-profit organization as you develop your skills during this one year of service at 826LA. Through a partnership with Corps 18, this position offers a unique hands-on learning experience as part of a passionate and creative team. Responsibilities include developing and implementing an ongoing communications and public relations strategy, developing outreach materials, and managing the organization’s social media presence to expand the community’s awareness of and engagement with 826LA. The Communication VISTA will work closely and collaborate with the Development Coordinator, Development Director, Design Manager, and programming staff in both our Echo Park and Mar Vista centers, volunteer coordinators, schools, teachers, students and their families, and volunteers.
- Develop an external communications strategy to broaden awareness of and engagement with 826LA programs.
- Expand 826’s media presence to help spread the reach of its programs for underserved students.
- Develop outreach materials to share the impact of 826LA programs.
- Develop organizational style guide and updated press kit.
- Develop system to track press contacts.
- Organize systems for future outreach efforts, including compiling outreach materials.
- Provide for the sustainability of the project.
- Report directly to the Development Coordinator.
The Corps 18 VISTA Marketing & Communications Assistant at 826LA candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and interpersonal.
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task, can work independently to meet tight deadlines, can solve problems quickly and creatively in a fast-paced, demanding environment while maintaining strong personal integrity.
- A passion to improve literacy and a deep commitment to student success.
- Relevant education or experience, including volunteer experience.
- A results-oriented spirit, and is willing to roll-up their sleeves to do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of the programs, with the ability to have flexible hours beyond the normal workday.
- A love of books and publishing.
- Availability to work 10pm to 6pm Monday through Friday; 3 days per week from 826LA in Mar Vista and 2 days per week from 826LA in Echo Park.
AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older. VISTA members receive a modest, monthly living allowance to help cover the cost of food, housing, and other basic necessities during service. Amounts are low because VISTAs are expected to live at approximately the same economic level as the people you are serving. The current biweekly stipend is $613.48. VISTA members who successfully complete a term of service are also eligible to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 to pay for college or to pay off student loans, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500.
Position start date is August 5, 2016.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must complete an application through the My AmeriCorps online portal and email supplemental materials to the below address no later than May 6, 2016. Please be advised that two letters of recommendation are required for all final candidates, and candidates must submit their letters in order to be considered for the final round of interviews.
To apply for the Marketing & Communications Assistant VISTA position, please:
1) Complete the AmeriCorps online application available here
2) Send the following to Annie@826la.org no later than May 6, 2016 with the subject line: “Marking & Communications VISTA.” No phone calls please.
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA as an AmeriCorps member.
- A relevant writing sample.
- A detailed resume.
The deadline to apply is May 6, 2016. For more information, visit the AmeriCorps website:
Please note only applications received through the AmeriCorps website prior to May 6, 2016 will be considered.