Los Angeles, CA
Development Specialist (updated)
Fathomers is a recently reorganized and re-launched 501(c)3 with a 20-year history of producing groundbreaking contemporary art projects. Generously funded by a single donor to this point, we now aim to expand and diversify our contributed income stream in order to bolster and scale programs, exhibitions, operations and special projects. To this end, we seek a highly motivated and experienced professional to join our dynamic team as a Development Specialist.
The position offers an opportunity to author an innovative development program designed to enact long-term sustainability and maximum growth potential within the organization. The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director and Board to identify and implement strategies for securing high-level support—in the forms of both financial and intellectual capital—particularly from donors and institutions committed to creative, scientific and technological advancement.
- Design and implement a robust fundraising strategy. Develop plans for individual giving campaigns and the solicitation of donors with capacity for $10,000+ restricted and unrestricted gifts. Cultivate and steward relationships with key figures in the arts, the sciences, technology and other fields.
- Develop pipeline of 200-250 prospects and donors. Collaborate with ED and Board to identify and cultivate 40-60 key figures from the pipeline to be invited to join Fathomers’ highest donor circle. Strategically enlist Board and principal staff in prospect identification and donor stewardship when appropriate.
- Collaborate with principal staff to develop, position and execute a private retreat/conference with presentations from key thinkers in a range of fields. Plan and attend additional fundraising activities and donor events.
- Collaborate with principal staff to produce collateral development-related materials, and prepare and present development-related planning and reporting materials for principal staff and Board.
- Oversee the production of individual gift documentation. Maintain accurate and complete records of donor contacts and correspondence in database, and work with staff to ensure donor acknowledgement and distribution of receipts.
- Proven track record of nonprofit development success, preferably related to the arts, with at least two years operations in Los Angeles. Proven track record of securing gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Demonstrable experience in cultivating and maintaining relationships with high-level philanthropists and donors in and around Los Angeles County.
- Close knowledge of the role of contemporary art within the cultural landscape, and ease in understanding and articulating Fathomers’ unique position therein.
- Superior written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment, ethical decision-making and reliable discretion.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and fundraising software.
This is imagined as a part-time contract position, but terms are negotiable and can be tailored to the successful candidate’s strengths and interests. Salary commensurate with experience.
Regional and occasional other travel. Evening and weekend work is regularly required.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a 1- to 2-page cover letter outlining your interest in the position, a résumé, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted electronically only and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Fathomers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, status as a whistleblower, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.