Director, Institutional Giving - The Music Center
Los Angeles, CA
The Music Center’s Advancement Department is currently searching for a Director, Institutional Giving.
The Director, Institutional Giving will help lead implementation of departmental strategies to attain The Music Center’s institutional fundraising goals including providing broad support to corporate, foundation, and government fundraising efforts. The position will provide direction to the Institutional Giving team, including the Institutional Giving Manager.
Under immediate supervision of the Assistant Vice President, Advancement (AVP), the Director will work closely with the AVP and the Institutional Giving team, Advancement senior staff, and the entire department. The Director will have a portfolio of significant foundation, government, and corporate donors, and will be responsible for close coordination and communication with internal departments.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies, cultivates, and develops strategies for the solicitation of corporations, foundation, and government donors and prospects to support The Music Center’s public programs, educational activities, and new events and initiatives as they arise.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President, participates in establishing annual institutional fundraising goals. Actively participates in the development, implementation, monitoring and assessment of strategies to achieve goals.
- Develops and executes a comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan targeting local and national foundations, government, and corporate funders.
- Creates persuasive case statements and narratives for use in proposals and other documents as required, and oversees preparation of materials and reports to comply with all grant reporting requirements.
- Develops, prepares, and presents formal fundraising proposals to institutional prospects. Efficiently and effectively bring proposals to successful closure.
- Collaborates with program staff and education staff to enhance and expand existing partnerships with institutional donors as well as identifying, cultivating and executing new ones. Ensures institutional representative site visits are planned and executed professionally.
- Maintains a portfolio of institutional donors and prospects and works with the prospect researcher to identify, research, and set strategies for new prospective institutional donors.
- Ensures an effective stewardship plan for institutional donors, and systematically implements that plan.
- Develops efforts to thoughtfully engage foundation executives and their boards, serving as a point of contact for foundation relations.
- In concert with the Assistant Vice President’s leadership and vision, provides direction for the Institutional Giving team.
- Engages institutional prospects through visits, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Participates as an active and collaborative partner on the Advancement team.
- Assists AVP and Advancement senior staff with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, education and or experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college is required.
- Four to six years of advancement experience in institutional giving strongly preferred; other relevant experience in fundraising or programming will also be considered
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present information in a variety of formats
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Must have a strong work ethic and be highly dependable, responsive, and reliable
- Highly organized with strong ability to effectively prioritize projects with conflicting deadlines
- Work well under pressure
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Excellent phone manner
- Experience working with events and strong customer service skills
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience working with data management system (Tessitura) a plus
- A record of successful experience in activities requiring customer service, event planning or donor relations
- Ability to work some nights and weekends as needed
Commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
To be fully considered please submit a cover letter and resume to: Jobs@musiccenter.org or Fax to: (213) 972-8029. Please include the name of the position in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer