Petersen Automotive Museum
The Petersen Automotive Museum is a non-profit organization whose mission is to explore and present the history of the automobile and its impact on American life and culture using Los Angeles as the prime example. Located in the heart of Los Angeles’ Miracle Mile district, the Petersen Automotive Museum is one of the world’s largest and most innovative automotive museums.
The Cars Mechanical Institute Discovery Center is an exciting, new Cars-themed gallery for visitors of all ages, built in partnership with Disney/Pixar and inspired by the animated film. This interactive gallery immerses kids in a hands-on environment in which they learn about the many systems and components that make cars work.
We are seeking two Lead Facilitators who will oversee the daily activity in the Discovery Center gallery by providing responsible, friendly, and enthusiastic assistance to museum visitors and school groups. S/he will interact with visitors on the floor, facilitate hands-on gallery stations, as well as foster a welcoming environment for volunteers,school groups and the general public. S/he will provide customer service support, be knowledgeable about museum content, and will maintain daily gallery operations and appearance.
The Discovery Center Lead Facilitator is responsible for facilitating the Discovery Center activities so that all visitors can enjoy the gallery. Essential functions of this position will include:
• Implementing inquiry-based learning and interactive educational techniques with
• Facilitating student field trips in the gallery with students and teachers who visit
• Facilitating interactive demonstrations at gallery stations
• Assisting visitors/students with Discovery Centerinteractive iPad experiences
• Managing the check-out and return of iPads
• Providing direction and guidance to visitors/school groups concerning other galleries
• Working with and mentoring Discovery Center volunteers
• Ensuring that objects and resources are handled carefully and safely
• Maintaining gallery cleaning procedures and ensuring that supplies are replenished
• Performing crowd control during peak times
• Participating in staffing Family Days and otherspecial youth programs as required
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
School groups as well as the general public the gallery as part of our School Visits program
• Bachelor’s degree, or degree in progress, with a background in Education,
• At least one year experience working directly with the public and with children
• Ability to deliver content to audiences of all ages and abilities, and to adapt content
• Familiarity with technology; ability to work with technology in an educational capacity
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Bilingualism (Spanish) preferred
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Compensation: $12/hour. Maximum 28 hours per week; must be available to work weekdays, weekends, as well as during some holiday and peak periods. Email cover letter,resume, and three references to: email@example.com with “Discovery Center Lead Facilitator” in subject line. No calls, please. Museum Studies, Science, History and/or related disciplines for different learning styles.