Museum of Contemporary Art
Los Angeles, CA
Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Donor Relations Officer seeks out opportunities, develops, and implements initiatives to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects to ensure a strong base of ongoing financial support. The Donor Relations Officer helps to identify prospective major donors for museum initiatives, manages a prospect pool of 100-125 active donors, and solicits gifts in departmental and operating requirements that meet and are in concert with MOCA's priority needs and mission. The position will also support the museum’s plans for recognition and stewardship of MOCA supporters to encourage deep connections and sustained donor relationships.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in art history or related field.
- 3-5 years of major gift fund-raising experience and some managerial experience desired, preferably in the arts.
- Proven skills in major gift fundraising and a self-starter.
- Able to think creatively and strategically to successfully negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally.
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Able to ask strategic and focused questions which encourage prospects and donors to talk about themselves and their activities.
- Knowledge of Raisers Edge a plus.
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
- Manage prospect activity for a portfolio of 100-125 individuals and participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Solicit contributions in support of museum’s programs in the range of $10,000-$100,000.
- Establish a fluent understanding of the organization – its strategic vision, budgets, programs, plans and impact of the program – in order to successfully communicate and represent the organization with constituents.
- Identify and qualify donors and prospects to establish a caseload.
- Establish financial goals for each constituent in the caseload working toward closing $500K-$1M in total annual gifts.
- Develop month-to-month annual plan for contacts and ask for each individual prospect and work with museum staff and volunteers to develop strategies for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Conduct regular meetings with relevant staff to review strategy.
- Monitor and report on funding progress.
- Research current donor networks and other program participants and event attendees for new prospects.
- Track all donor activity in Raisers Edge database using MOCA’s prospect management system following established protocols and review monthly reports with manager to assess activity and performance.
- Develop strategies and approaches to generate higher levels of giving.
- Organize or participate in other initiatives to promote the organization and philanthropy.
- Support the Management Team to ensure all major and planned giving donors receive appropriate, consistent recognition and an accounting of the impact that their gift has on community needs annually.
- Assist in writing and developing promotional materials such as brochures and reports to promote MOCA.
- Help develop innovative and implement recognition opportunities and materials and events for continuity and donor stewardship.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions & Physical Demands
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.