City of San Gabriel
San Gabriel, CA
The Opportunity & Ideal Candidate:
Welcome to a world of arts and culture! The San Gabriel Mission Playhouse promotes the development of an artistic program that celebrates the vibrancy of our diverse community by encouraging access to artists, producers, and audiences. Located in the heart of a historic neighborhood, we embrace our role as a focal point for the arts, for the people of the City of San Gabriel, and far beyond. We are proud to host a remarkable and eclectic array of productions and events ranging from Western Symphonies to Chinese Opera, from Classical Ballet to Ballet Folklorico, from Jazz to Hip-Hop, and some of the best Mariachi bands to colorful Broadway shows.
Coordinating performances at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse can be fast-paced and demanding, so the ideal candidate will be able to multi-task and thrive under pressure as well as have great customer service skills. Candidates must carefully balance the needs of the producers, artists, City staff, and Playhouse staff while taking into consideration the strategic goals of the Playhouse.
Under supervision of the Production Supervisor, the Event Coordinator is responsible for running the production side of theater events as well as overseeing the stage crew and their staffing, training, and scheduling. They will also assist/manage production improvement projects and maintain equipment logs and repairs. Knowledge of Cue-lab, Vectorworks, Lightwright, Word, and Excel are desirable. This is a true team environment where we rely on each other’s strengths and help perform other duties as assigned. Work schedule will vary by week and will require some evenings and weekends.
Although other combinations may be considered, a typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be relevant college coursework and three years of increasingly responsible experience working on live events. Theatrical knowledge in lighting, programming, electrical knowledge, analog and digital live sound mixing, rigging, knots, carpentry, sewing, and the ability to lift up to 25 pounds are required. Possession and maintenance of a Class C California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record are also required. Compensation of $100 per month is available to employees who qualify and pass a proficiency examination in a second language such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Spanish.
Compensation & Benefits:
Range: $4,983–$6,057 per month. The City of San Gabriel offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
- Participation in the CalPERS Retirement System: 2% @ 60 for “classic” CalPERS members (which goes up to a maximum of 2.418% @ 63) and 2% @ 62 for new CalPERS members; participating San Gabriel employees will remain in their existing tier.
- Cafeteria plan to cover medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums: The City’s 2016 contribution is $1,568 per month toward a choice of multiple PPO and HMO medical plans (the City contracts with CalPERS for health insurance), two dental plans, and vision plan, as well as the ability to cash out any unused portion as taxable income.
- Other Benefits:
- Choice of enrollment in multiple Deferred Compensation (457) Programs
- Optional enrollment in Supplemental Insurance Programs
- City-paid long term disability and life insurance (1x annual salary)
- City-paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Travel Assistance Program for employees and eligible family members
- Payment of retiree (and family) health insurance per established vesting schedule
- 12 days of sick leave per calendar year
- 10 days of vacation per year
- 11 holidays per year, plus 1 floating holiday
- Cash Outs:
- Sick Leave Buy Back Program allows cash out of 50% of unused sick leave accrued in the 12 month period between November and October.
- Vacation Buy Back Program includes the option to cash out one week of unused vacation per year (benefit currently authorized for FY16-17).
- Holiday Buy Back Program allows a maximum of 8 hours of unused holiday to be paid back to the employee during the second pay period of the calendar year.
Candidates must complete a City of San Gabriel application. A résumé and cover letter are strongly recommended. To apply, please visit jobs.sangabrielcity.com. All application materials must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 18, 2016. Faxed, emailed, or hard copies of application materials and/or résumés are not accepted.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. Applicants with legal disabilities, who require special testing accommodations, must contact the City of San Gabriel Human Resources Department at least five (5) days prior to the examination date.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; the City of San Gabriel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.