Los Angeles, CA
Machine Project Events and Membership Intern.
Machine Project is a place for artists to do fun experiments, together with the public, in ways that influence culture. Machine Project is an informal, non-profit, cultural institution located in a storefront space in the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles and a group of people working together to create, study and share new forms of culture and ways of living. We collaborate with artists, thinkers and local communities to produce non-commercial projects that investigate art, performance, technology, science, music, literature and new ideas for creative engagement. We believe an organization can be a machine for thinking together.
The intern will provide general support to Machine Staff in organizing and programming of events and the maintenance of Machine's membership and donor program. Additional various tasks, including but not limited to gallery organization and administration, website updates, research, exhibition installation and event support will also be part of the internship.
Production and Promotion of events
- Working hands-on with artists, instructors and staff to coordinate the logistics of Machine Project’s programming, including performances, classes, and Artist Residencies. Once familiar with the space, the intern may be called on to produce events and classes independently during the internship
- Acting as gallery representative for all events and workshops that are assigned to them.
- Collecting and compiling data on artists, performers, and other arts organizations Machine works with for database
- Running errands, helping clean and organize the gallery, filing, and other day-to- day office stuff.
Membership and Donor Organization
- Compilation and organization of membership materials
- Assist in production of membership mailings
- Work with Managing Director on current membership program
- Coordination of member-related special events
- Research potential funding sources (foundations, individuals, public sources)
- Data entry and database maintenance
We request a commitment of 10-20 hours per week from February through June, with the possibility of extension into the summer. Intern will be based at Machine's Echo Park location, with the possibility some occasional travel to run errands, or attend programs. Work hours will mostly be Monday to Friday between 10am-6pm, ideally 2-3 days a week. A travel and lunch stipend will be paid. We are also happy to work to arrange academic credit for the internship.
- Machine is a very collaborative space, so the ideal intern will be a great team member and can also take on a project or task and work independently.
- Excellent writing skills, especially for marketing materials, press releases, social media, newsletters, or donor proposals
- Experience with social media
- Proficiency with Google Docs and MS Office
- Experience updating or managing a database
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org