Montebello Unified Candidate Surveys, Fall 2011
Click a name below to view responses from candidates running for Montebello Unified School Board.
1. Your district has embarked on an initiative to restore meaningful sequential arts education into its core curriculum. What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of the plan?
2. If you are not familiar with the plan, what do you think your district can and should do to make this work more visible?
3. What role do you think the arts can play in supporting key priorities of the district such as reducing the dropout rate, closing the achievement gap, and preparing more students for college eligibility and/or meaningful careers?
4. In light of the current budget crisis, the state is now allowing local school districts flexibility to redirect their allocation from the “art and music block grant” to fund other local priorities. How would you balance the need to invest in arts education with the other financial challenges facing your district?
5. What meaningful experiences with art (visual, dance, drama, music) did you have growing up? Please tell us about those experiences.