Center for Council
Finance Associate - 20 hrs/wk WITH BENEFITS
To be filled immediately
Organization: Center for Council, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit organization, enables individuals to develop tools for improved communication, find common ground with others, and create healthy, compassionate, and thriving communities. The organization works at critical points within the criminal justice system and with community-based organizations to promote social and restorative justice and support community well being.
Center for Council is a year-and-a half old, fiscally sponsored by Community Partners, and experiencing rapid growth. It’s an exciting time to join the organization and play a role in the development of its long-term vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with the staff of Community Partners, Center for Council’s fiscal sponsor, provide oversight of organization’s day-to-day financial management and execute bookkeeping duties, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, grant management, and the general ledger.
- Review monthly financial statements prepared by fiscal sponsor to ensure accuracy and recategorize expenses where needed
- Prepare and submit contract paperwork/MOUs and process invoices for contractors and vendors.
- Prepare and submit expense reimbursement forms and deposit forms.
Reporting and Analysis:
- Create quarterly, monthly, and annual financial reports for various stakeholders.
- Manage cash flow forecast.
- Prepare short and long-term financial projections.
- Develop financial metrics and reports for senior management and advisory board.
- Assist with annual and program budget development.
- Manage development and ongoing data entry for internal financial planning and reporting tools and other software. Train staff on the use of financial tools, budget development, and expense tracking and analysis, when required.
- Recommend and implement changes to financial practices, policies, and procedures as they relate to budgeting and financial forecasting.
- Assist with budget creation for new and recurring grants.
- Monitor and report on grant spending.
- Prepare financial reports for grant proposals.
- The ability to communicate directly and sensitively with colleagues and with the staff of our fiscal sponsor.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment in a fast-growing organization, and face challenges with a positive attitude.
- High level of attention to detail, and passion for getting the details right.
- Previous bookkeeping or accounting experience.
- Ability to produce results on a deadline and be on time.
- High level of professionalism and personal integrity.
- Strong technical skills in Excel and meticulous data management abilities. Experience with setting up Quickbooks ledgers is a plus.
- Prior experience with fiscal sponsorship is a huge plus.
- Interest or experience (either professionally or as a volunteer) in nonprofit work is a plus.
The successful candidate will be able to work remotely and in nontraditional work environments (from home, in coffee shops, etc.) but also be available for periodic in-person meetings in Los Angeles.
This position is part-time, 20 hours/week, at $25/hour.
Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation, and 403(b) plan with employer match.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF attachment to: email@example.com. Please include “Finance Associate” and your name in the subject line of your email.