David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA is seeking a full-time HEAD PREPARATOR
We are seeking a highly motivated, well organized, and team-oriented person who wants to be part of a rapidly growing, internationally renowned contemporary art gallery in Los Angeles, CA. The Head Preparator position will be scheduled 5 days a week, Monday to Friday, but the applicant must be flexible and available outside of the designated days on an as needed basis. This is a managerial position, and the applicant is required to have extensive prior experience working as a preparator at either a contemporary art gallery or museum.
1. Scheduling, training, and managing a preparatorial team in the following duties:
a. Installation, maintenance, and deinstallation of artworks for exhibitions, art fair presentations, photo shoots, and private viewings
b. Proper packing of artworks for storage and outgoing shipments
c. Proper unpacking of artworks for condition reporting and installation
d. Receipt and release of artworks
e. Local collection and delivery of artworks
f. Proper construction of models for exhibitions and art fair presentations
g. Storage maintenance
h. Facilities maintenance, including, but not limited, to patching, painting, and general clean-up
2. Scheduling and oversight of general contractors, painters, electricians, and other independent contractors on an as needed basis
3. Preparation of installation instructions and diagrams.
4. Acquisition, maintenance, and organization of all preparatorial supplies (for use at the gallery, off-site storage, and art fair presentations)
1. Extensive prior experience working as a preparator for a contemporary art gallery or museum
2. Knowledge of (and ability to) accurately install, maintain, and deinstall artworks of a variety of mediums, including, but not limited to sculpture, painting, works on paper, photographs, video, ceramics, etc.
3. Prior experience installing and deinstalling at art fairs preferred
4. Experience with Photoshop and other graphic and technical software preferred
5. High attention to detail
6. Able to efficiently lead and manage a team of preparators
7. Able to work independently
8. Capable of working successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
9. Superior crisis management skills
10. Excellent communication and written skills
Salary based on qualifications and experience. Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Head Preparator” to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.