Los Angeles, CA
Part-time, Hourly, 15 hours/week - 30 hours/week
Branch Gallery is looking for a new Gallery Manager to be in charge of weekly operations. This position requires someone who has experience working in a gallery as either a manager or assistant. Branch Gallery is a small gallery that is associated with local yarn store The Knitting Tree, L.A. and exclusively exhibits fiber artists. Successful candidates will be passionate about fiber art and its place in the greater L.A. community.
Gallery Manager will oversee weekly activities for the gallery, including correspondence with artists and patrons, curating exhibitions, and managing gallery sales. The gallery has exhibitions lined up throughout 2018 and part of 2019. The Gallery Manager would carry out this timeline and continue scheduling exhibitions for the future.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Must be able to work independently and understand the full scope of running a gallery, including: gallery sales, correspondence with patrons, curating, lighting, preparator work, and registrar work. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Installing exhibition work with/without artist help
- Knowledge of various hanging techniques, especially in regard to fiber work
- Will spackle walls, painting, cleaning floors/in general
- Knowledge of gallery lighting
- Must be willing to climb a ladder (up to 13 ft high)
- Knowledge of how to create proper labels for exhibited work
- Knowledge of how to file paperwork, including loan agreements, consignment agreements, and bill of sale papers
- Knowledge of how to manage exhibition sales; must know minor bookkeeping
- Act as main contact for currently exhibiting artists, future exhibiting artists, patrons, and gallery sale inquiries. Also field proposals for future exhibitions and curate exhibition timeline for 2019.
- Organize calendar for gallery, including: exhibition schedule, opening receptions, artist talks, or artist workshops.
- Create press releases and contact local press regarding opening receptions and new exhibitions.
- Photograph gallery events and exhibitions with DSLR camera, including: overall exhibition shots, opening receptions, artist talks, demos, and workshops. Must know Adobe Photoshop and/or Lightroom to edit photos
- Operating social media as a marketing tool, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Posting regularly about exhibitions on the Branch Gallery Facebook Page and Instagram Account. Must know basics of both platforms, including hashtag system,
- Listing gallery events on Facebook Page
- Responding to messages on both FB/IG, including commenting and inbox messages
- Seeking networking connections on Facebook and Instagram, including other local galleries, artists, museums, etc.
- Create newsletters for new exhibitions and gallery events through MailChimp platform.
- Regularly update Branch Gallery website, including current exhibition page, previous exhibition pages, and upcoming events. Must be comfortable navigating Weebly platform.
About Branch Gallery
Branch Gallery is a fiber art space in Los Angeles dedicated to exhibiting local artists. We provide opportunities exclusively for the fiber arts, lending a platform for artists to share their work and techniques with the broader L.A. arts community. The gallery is owned and operated by The Knitting Tree, L.A., a local yarn store located next door. We hope to bring more attention to fiber as a fine art, along with its presence as a craft, between the two spaces.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Aneesa Shami at email@example.com with “Gallery Manager Position” as the subject by February 26th.