Over the Influence Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
We are looking for a motivated and highly organized gallery manager to be responsible for the overall management of a large commercial art gallery. The successful candidate will be able to meet sales goals, meticulously handle administration, work closely with artists, and handle all the production within the exhibition space. Candidates will have the most success if they have a background in gallery management or administration. As a commercial art gallery manager, you'll be responsible for the commercial and artistic success of the gallery.
Tasks vary but typically include:
- General administration, budgeting, finance and accounts
- Manage appointments or event schedules with artists, vendors, clients or visitors.
- Maintain office filing including stock lists, price lists, shipping documentation, updating client database or generating new client lists.
- Updated to gallery inventory with all moves of art pieces after sales, art fairs, exhibitions, condition checks, etc.
Gallery Promotion and Sales
- Maintain ongoing promotion and advertising of the gallery
- Work closely with individual artists, develop relationships with new artists, and extend relationships with established artists from the gallery ‘stable’
- Assist in research work for new exhibitions, artists etc.
- Develop client lists by notifying potential clients of particular works and exhibitions
- Liaise with visiting artists and negotiate sales
- Promote and sell artists' work, through both exhibitions and personal contacts
- Keep up to date with industry developments and market trends
- Manage exhibition production in cooperation with artists and technicians
- Negotiate with other galleries and curators to arrange for loans
- Assist with preparation of marketing materials e.g. catalogues, invitations, artist biographies or labels, etc.
- Floorpan set up and installation exhibition at gallery or event spaces, art fair booth
Knowledge and experience:
- University degree with contemporary art knowledge preferred
- Knowledge regarding contemporary art and art practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with the public, providing guided tours and help with any inquiries.
- Excellent time management skills
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Knowledge of operating MS Office, Social Media Platforms
- Knowledge of Artlogic preferred
- Enthusiastic with can-do attitude
- Demonstrated research skills
- Fast learner, attention to detail, responsible, self-starter and well-organized
HOW TO APPLY
Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include resume, cover letter, and at least 1 professional reference.