Art Share L.A. offers an exciting, dynamic workplace. We are a small nonprofit with a small staff that "does it all". We host 5-10 events each week and support over 400 artists annually. The organization's growth potential is huge and we are looking for someone to help us develop the development department and build programs that will engage more artists each year. Position pays $12 - 15 per hour with the potential to grow depending on production.
Grants/Development Assistant's primary responsibilities are to:
1) develop a grants program at Art Share L.A.. Create and oversee a master grants calendar that is regularly revised/updated and that the department meets grant deadlines.
2) research, write and prepare proposals to corporate and foundation grantmakers. The Grant Writer works collaboratively with the Executive Director, Board Members and partner organizations to develop exciting opportunities for our developing programs.
3) assist in the annual fundraising event and support new initiatives of donor stewardship.
This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Director of Institutional Giving. Qualified candidates must have:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- Two-to-five years of nonprofit development experience and a willingness to learn and develop grant writing skills
- Strong writing, editing, and research skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Working knowledge of Guidestar and Foundation Center, and the ability to locate, identify, and summarize funders' charitable giving foci, grant eligibility requirements, appropriate request amounts, application guidelines, submission instructions, and post-submission award notification timelines and protocols
- Capacity to develop program and project budgets
- Sharp attention to detail
- Competence working within an office setting; able to use various office tools including copier, printer, computer, and fax machine with limited or no assistance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee corporate and foundation annual grants calendar to ensure grant proposal deadlines are met
- Research prospective grantmakers using search tools/databases (e.g., Foundation Center, AGM, Guidestar and other relevant sites). Identify donor interests/priorities/history of giving.
- Prepare and proof concept papers and grant applications, including assisting with budgets and all other supporting materials. Electronically submit or mail applications and required attachments per grant guidelines.
- Outreach to and develop relationships with foundation and corporate funders, both independently and at the direction of executive director and board members
- Assist staff with the development of program language and finding grant-related opportunities
- Assist in preparing project budgets to submit with grant applications using excel and other budgeting templates
- Help to ensure that all grant agreement/reporting requirements are met
- Support Art Share L.A.'s fundraising events and external networking events, as requested. Interact with funders/sponsors/prospects at these events, as relevant.
- Processing gift acknowledgements and other mailings
- Coordinating production of newsletters, annual reports, brochures and other communications
- Maintaining records for optimal operating effectiveness and coordinating meetings
- Support in prospect research for major donors