Los Angeles, CA
Graphic Design and Web Manager
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a motivated, experienced, and creative professional for the position of Graphic Design and Web Manager. A member of the Communications and Marketing department, the Graphic Design and Web Manager is responsible for creating design solutions—both print and electronic—that define the Skirball’s visual brand and support its communications and marketing strategies. The position is also responsible for managing the Skirball’s website.
- Collaborate closely with VP, Communications and Marketing, in managing, monitoring, and evolving the Skirball’s design style guide. Proactively seek to maintain consistency in design aesthetic and identity.
- Develop concepts, graphics, and layouts for a wide range of communications and marketing materials to promote the Skirball’s exhibitions, programs, and entrepreneurial initiatives to general and target audiences. Materials include flyers, brochures, postcards, street banners, gallery guides, invitations, signage, advertisements (print, outdoor, and online static and animated), and e-mail templates.
- Cooperate with staff colleagues and web vendors to maximize value and impact of the Skirball website in meeting institutional goals. Update, maintain, and optimize the Skirball website using the content management system. Ensure that all aspects of the website (informational and ticketing) are current and meet content and user needs.
- Participate in budgeting and scheduling print and web projects; advise on project bids and evaluate vendors for production of materials, ensuring highest-quality results commensurate with cost.
- Deliver production-ready files to media partners and print vendors, ensuring that all specifications and deadlines are met. Oversee press checks and quality control as needed.
- Manage Designer or Junior Designer-level staff. Work with and/or supervise freelance graphic designers, illustrators, and photographers.
- Participate in design of site-wide signage at the Skirball, including wayfinding, identification signage, promotional banners, memorial plaques, and publications as assigned. Collaborate with exhibition design team as assigned.
- Direct photography and videography shoots as needed.
- Monitor trends in graphic design, content management systems, and other relevant digital technologies.
- Develop and grow graphic design and web management expertise through participation in workshops, further education, and reading/researching professional literature; attend professional development conferences when possible.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the Skirball’s established mission and values.
The successful candidate will exhibit the following skills and characteristics:
- Experience in the design of effective communications and marketing materials created in accordance with an institutional visual brand identity; experience in developing and evolving such an identity.
- Ability to assemble and lead graphic design and web teams; skill and experience supervising junior staff.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, as well as page layout design and typography, photo manipulation, pre-press workflow, and the printing process.
- Exceptional skills and track record in website maintenance and design. Prior work with content management systems, such as Drupal.
- In-depth understanding of user interface/experience (UI/UX) design and information architecture. Keen eye for clean user interface implementation. Ability to recognize problems that arise with site usability and make immediate corrections.
- Experience using MailChimp (or other e-blast software) and understanding of social media techniques and platforms.
- Superior ability to establish and adhere to strict style standards.
- Positive, energetic, cooperative, can-do attitude. Self-starter approach to problem solving and completing both simple and high-profile projects independently, as well as improving processes and procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills, with a sincere commitment to and proven success at establishing productive relationships with key stakeholders at all levels of the institution and with external contacts.
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce high-quality materials in a busy, multi-sensory, and highly collaborative work environment.
- Superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong QA skills.
- A keen appreciation for and understanding of the Skirball Cultural Center’s mission
Typically, these skills and knowledge are the result of an undergraduate degree in graphic design, and 5–7 years of professional experience in graphic design, including supervision of junior designers. An interest in working in a nonprofit setting preferred.
Please send resume, link to online portfolio, and cover letter identifying your most relevant skills or experiences and indicating the reasons for your interest in working at the Skirball. All materials should be sent by e-mail (PDFs preferred; no Word documents). Finalists may be required to take a skills test.
Human Resources Department
Re: Graphic Design and Web Manager
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Or e-mail to email@example.com