David Kordansky Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA is seeking a full-time HEAD PREPARATOR
We are seeking a highly motivated, well organized, and team-oriented person who wants to be part of a rapidly growing, internationally renowned contemporary art gallery in Los Angeles, CA. The Head Preparator position will be scheduled 5 days a week, Monday to Friday, but the applicant must be flexible and available outside of the designated days on an as needed basis.
This is a managerial position, and the applicant is required to have extensive prior experience working as a preparator and handling a variety of artwork at a contemporary art gallery or museum.
Primary responsibilities include directing and training a team of preparators and participating in the following duties:
- Installation, maintenance, and de-installation of artworks for exhibitions, art fair presentations, photo shoots, and private viewings
- Proper packing of artworks for storage and outgoing shipments
- Proper unpacking of artworks for condition reporting and installation
- Receipt and release of artworks
- Local collection, transporting, and delivery of artworks
- Client installs as needed
- Construction of models for exhibitions and art fair presentations
- Storage and supplies maintenance
- General facilities maintenance, including, but not limited to, patching and painting, general clean-up, and disaster preparations
- Fabrication of pedestals and t-frames, and other light carpentry
- Extensive prior experience working as a preparator and handling a variety of artwork at a contemporary art gallery or museum
- Ability to accurately install, maintain, and deinstall artworks of a variety of mediums, including, but not limited to sculpture, painting, works on paper, photographs, video, ceramics, etc.
- Knowledge of basic construction and fabrication materials and methods
- Experience driving up to 16 ft. box trucks
- A/V experience preferred
- Prior experience installing and deinstalling at art fairs preferred
- Experience with Photoshop and other graphic and technical software preferred
- High attention to detail
- Able to efficiently lead, manage, and delegate to a team of preparators
- Able to work independently
- Capable of working successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Superior crisis management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid driver’s license
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Head Preparator” to email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.