Los Angeles, CA
The Autry is dedicated to exploring and sharing the stories, experiences, and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. Through the work of its dynamic staff, the Autry promotes education, research, exhibitions, and public programs. Located in scenic Griffith Park, the Autry provides a collaborative work environment for its employees and attracts highly qualified and motivated professionals.
The Autry seeks a Head Preparator to oversee all aspects of exhibition fabrication, installation, maintenance, and de-installation. The Head Preparator hires, trains, and supervises full-time and temporary Preparators. He/She works closely with the Design Director and project leader(s) to plan for exhibitions, and with the Collections and Conservation staff to design and fabricate mounts and furniture and to install artifacts to museum standards.
- · Supervise a staff of four FTEs and approximately 10 temporary/on-call Exhibition Preparators
- · Plan and oversee the production, fabrication, and installation/de-installation of all permanent and changing exhibitions
- · Supervise production of work on non-related exhibit materials, including museum shop, office development, and special events
- · Stay up to date on all Cal OSHA regulations related to scope of work
- · Develop, implement, and maintain safety training procedures as outlined in the Autry IIPP
- · Develop and manage exhibition production schedules
- · Develop and manage annual department budgets including: individual project budgets, overall department budget, and staff salaries
- · Recruit, train, and evaluate staff
- · The Autry reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
- · Bachelor’s degree in Fine Art or equivalent training
- · At least 10 years experience as an art handler and/or museum exhibition planning and installation
- · At least five years of management experience, including supervising staff and developing and managing budgets
- · Ability to read and understand architectural plans and construction documents
- · Extensive knowledge of materials and construction and fabrication techniques
- · Experience in wood, metal, and finishing shop maintenance and supply ordering
- · Ability to organize, develop, and maintain a schedule of multiple projects simultaneously
- · Requires the use of computers, all forms of wood working tools, power, and hand tools, and the ability to lift and move materials of 50 lbs. or more.
- · Position involves long periods of standing, walking, and moving materials by hand or on carts.
- · Ability to work at heights over eight feet.
- · Ability to perform physical tasks, including bending, kneeling, pulling, pushing, walking, standing for long periods of time, and lifting up to 60 pounds.
- · May have to work evenings and weekends as needed.
To learn more about the Autry and to apply, please visit the Employment Page of our website at: