Los Angeles, CA
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
Under the supervision of the Chief Curator, the Head Register is responsible for overseeing the operations of the Registrar department to ensure the proper care and safeguarding of all art objects in the possession of the Museum. Responsibilities include the formulation of policies and procedures to manage the handling, storage and conservation of art work; management of record-keeping systems and inventory procedures; administration of the fine arts insurance policy; supervision of assigned staff. If you think your qualifications and experience meet the requirements of the Head Registrar position at MOCA, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Possession of a bachelor's degree in art history, museum studies, or related field, management and budget experience required. Ability to manage both collections and traveling exhibitions. Ability to work flexible schedule with some weekend and evening work. Ability to travel domestically and internationally. Minimum of five to eight years museum experience. Excellent organizational and communications skills and demonstrated leadership ability also required. Proficiency in TMS (The Museum System) strongly preferred.
- Under the supervision of the Chief Curator, oversee all departmental operations, including the development and implementation of policies and procedures to facilitate the safe handling, storage and condition reporting of works in the Permanent Collection and on loan.
- Assist in the establishment of budgets and monitoring of expenditures for crating, shipping, customs, insurance, conservation and other costs associated with Permanent Collection and traveling exhibitions.
- Administer the Museum's fine arts insurance policy to ensure proper coverage for all artwork; advise the Chief Curator of all concerns or potential hazards affecting the safety of works of art; monitor values at risk; and oversee the processing of fine arts insurance claims.
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of departmental record-keeping systems, including documentation associated with the accessioning, de-accessioning, lending and borrowing of art work.
- In collaboration with the Chief Curator, organize, schedule and compile materials for the Museum's Board of Trustee Acquisition and Collection Committee meetings.
- Work closely with the Librarian and Editorial staff to manage rights and reproduction activities associated with the Permanent Collection.
- Provide supervision to assigned Registrar department staff.
- Work with the Curatorial, Exhibitions and Operations departments to establish project schedules, satisfy security requirements, and accomplish exhibition objectives. Review all pertinent contracts, including loan forms and exhibition contracts, to insure adherence to all protocol and requirements outlined in these documents.