Los Angeles, CA
The John Anson Ford Theatres, operated by the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, seeks an experienced and dynamic arts professional to manage front-of-house activities and event services related to the 2016 Ford Theatres summer season, which runs from July through mid-October and includes approximately 80 music, dance, theatre, film, family and public engagement events. The House Manager holds a critical role in providing excellent customer service and high quality experiences for the thousands of audience members and program participants that visit the theatre over the course of the summer.
- Scheduling, training and supervising of house staff to ensure a well-run front-of- house and excellent customer service to all visitors.
- Overseeing the preparation of the amphitheatre for guest services including, but not limited to, receptions, playbills, picnic table reservations, shuttles, parking, security and concessions vendors.
- Assisting Ford Theatre Foundation development staff with preshow donor events.
- Overseeing Ford Theatres and artist merchandise sales and ensuring that accounting reports are accurate and complete.
- Communicating with the Ford Theatres technical, marketing and box office divisions to coordinate front-of-house activities with production related needs.
- Responding to patron complaints and resolving customer service issues.
- Completing house reports for each event to document operations, successes and challenges.
- Attendance at production meetings to support the coordination of productions and plan for front-of-house needs.
- Follow emergency procedures as set forth by Event Services Manager, handle all emergency situations affecting patrons and the building while on duty and complete accident report for all incidents whether or not an injury was sustained.
- Supporting the hiring and training of house staff in advance of the opening of the season.
- Other duties as assigned.
Project Period: Approximately May through October, 2016.
Working Hours: Part-time hours will average between 25 and 35 hours per week. Applicants must be available during the week day to attend production meetings and on weekends and evenings to house manage events.
Project Location: Ford Theatres, 2580 Cahuenga Boulevard East, Hollywood, CA 90068.
Required Experience/Skills/Qualities: Ideal candidates will have experience working in a theatre, concert venue, festival or other live performing arts setting, preferably with staff management responsibilities, or will have comparable customer service experience in another industry. Experience working with and providing excellent customer service to diverse communities is highly valued. Candidate must demonstrate good judgment and leadership, use of courtesy and tact when interacting with staff and the public, and have strong verbal and written communication skills. Candidate must also have strong attention to details and logistics, and be well-organized, flexible, and proactive. Candidate must be reliable, honest and possess enthusiasm, and dedication to the arts. Ability to speak a second language is desirable but not required.
Compensation: Range starts at $18.50 per hour. This is a part-time, temporary position.
How to Apply: Candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references. All submissions should be emailed to the attention of Bill Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org, with House Manager, Ford Theatres as the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the U.S. mail or phone regarding the status of the submission. Applications will be reviewed starting in February. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met and may close without advance notice.
Background: The Ford Theatres bring people together for transformative arts experiences that inspire, empower and ignite cultural exchange. Located in a 32-acre County regional park, the facility is one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles. The Ford is operated through a three-way partnership between the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, LA County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Ford Theatre Foundation.