National Book Foundation - BookUp
Los Angeles, CA
The National Book Foundation (NBF) is seeking a published author who has experience working with young people to serve as a contractual Instructor for BookUp: Los Angeles, a free, after-school reading program for middle school students. BookUp participants read a total of six books each semester, engage in book club-style discussions and creative response activities, and interact with the local literary community through author visits and field trips. The program is held at Foshay Learning Center, and takes place between January and June 2017 (exact dates TBD based on instructor availability and partner site needs). Instructors report to NBF’s Director of Education.
- Lead twelve 90-minute after-school sessions for approximately 15 students in grades 5 and 6.
- Serve as liaison between NBF, Foshay, and other program stakeholders
- Create and submit lesson plans
- Create and submit book order requests
- Document program progress and student work through weekly reports
- Participate in planning calls with New York-based NBF staff
- Assist with the coordination of and attend scheduled author visits, field trips, and culminating event.
Essential Skills and Education/Experience
- Undergraduate degree in creative writing, literature, or other related field; graduate work preferred
- Experience as a published writer (online or print)
- Previous experience working young people required; experience with upper elementary and middle school students strongly preferred
- Experience working in an after-school or out-of-school time setting strongly preferred
- A patient, flexible, and collaborative spirit
Send cover letter and resume as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: BookUp Instructor. Please note: interviews will be conducted via Skype or Google Hangout with the New York-based NBF office.
The National Book Foundation is committed to inclusivity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability.