Los Angeles, CA
About Young Storytellers
We have a simple mission: to inspire young people to discover the power of their voice. Using
one-on-one mentorship, low-income students learn how to write original stories and see them
brought to life on stage and film. Thanks to thousands of volunteer mentors, actors, and professional
teaching artists, we serve more than 50 public schools in Los Angeles and New York City, reaching
1,000 students in elementary, middle, and high school each year. As a result, young people learn
that their voice matters. For more information, please visit www.YoungStorytellers.com.
The Movie Maker and P.O.V. Program Coordinator is responsible for creating schedules for all middle
and high school programs and serves as the main point of contact between our office and Movie
Maker and P.O.V. partner schools, They oversee the high school mentor recruitment, training, and
selection process for our middle school Movie Makers program. The Coordinator supports the
teaching artists who run our programs in their student and mentor recruitment process and with
technical material needs. They also assist in our adult volunteer recruitment and clearing process.
Anticipated start date is January 2017 (with a few training days in mid December). This is a full time
salaried position ($42K per year) with $425 monthly health insurance allowance, retirement savings
program, and generous paid-time off / holidays. The interim position will end in June 2018, hire will
have the potential to permanently join our team (dependent on review and program direction).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner Schools: This position is the main point of contact between Young Storytellers and our
- partner middle and high schools.
- Creates, confirms, and updates program schedules with partner schools.
- Sends schools program materials and completes any paperwork required by our schools.
- Sends school surveys that help us collect useful data.
- High School Mentors: Is responsible for recruiting, training, and selecting high school mentors.
- Takes lead on mentor recruitment and training at schools with new head mentors.
- Oversees returning head mentors in their recruitment and training steps.
- Oversees high school mentor selection and confirmation process.
- Works with head mentors, teachers and school to schedule master classes as needed (used mainly as tool to recruit and retain high school mentors).
- Head Mentors: Supports head mentors (teaching artists who run the programs at each of our partner
- Assists Program Director at head mentor trainings twice a year.
- Supports head mentors at filming days (3 hour weekday afternoon or Saturday full day film days).
- Oversees head mentors in their mentor data entry process.
- Works with head mentors and schools to create and adjust program schedules as needed.
- Ensures that head mentors have needed program materials.
● Updates iPads and other technical materials as needed.
● Edits student films as needed and uploads onto drive/website/DVD for screenings (dependent on entertainment partner hosting screenings).
● Recruits, trains, and manages Movie Maker and P.O.V. Program Interns
● Ensures that adult volunteers complete online background checks.
● Recruits adult volunteer mentors and actors as needed.
● Passionate about Young Storytellers’ mission and impact with a particular interest in working with young people ages 11-18.
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Prior experience working in the education/with public schools.
● Coordination/administration experience.
● Organized and detail oriented.
● Ability to troubleshoot both creatively and systematically.
● Understands data file formats, aspect ratios, and video resolutions.
● Knowledge of iMovie, Premiere Pro, and AVID.
● Familiarity with iPads and DSLR Cameras.
● Strong collaborative and communication skills.
● Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor.
● Spark, imagination, creativity
● Diverse and bilingual (Spanish) candidates highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email the following in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Interim Movie Makers and P.O.V. Program Coordinator / LAST NAME.
● A brief paragraph stating why you are interested in working for Young Storytellers.
● Create a 2-3 minute 1080p video of you answering the following questions. Feel free to get
creative and show us your personality with your words and style, extra points for those who
show their editing skills. Please upload onto youtube or vimeo and include link in application.
○ What interests you most about being a part of a media program that develops soft
skills in middle and high school students?
○ How you are uniquely qualified for this position?
○ How would your career aspirations/development be furthered by joining our team as
our Program Coordinator?
No phone calls please.