Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Los Angeles, CA
We are currently seeking an applicant for immediate hire, responsible for web development in the design & digital department at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, La Brea Tar Pits & Museum and the William S. Hart Museum. This position will work directly with the lead developer creating and updating digital experiences including specifically LAMP (Drupal and PHP) development. Please read below to find out more about specific responsibilities and skills necessary to be considered for the opportunity.
This role assists the web department team in planning, producing and implementing digital across web, mobile and social. Primary responsibilities include: design and development of websites and website functionality that ensure strong optimization and best practices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Generating concepts/wireframes supporting the day-to-day production of existing digital strategies, as well as preparing for future initiatives. Examples include development and maintenance of websites, social media channels or mobile platforms/apps.
- Work with the lead developer to oversee the work from digital consultants and vendors to implement digital projects, planning and design. The applicant will need to determine and recommend digital trends, emerging web technologies (such as browsers, languages, and plug-ins) that deliver the Museum's vision.
- Knowledge of the Content Management System Drupal versions 6, 7 and 8. Applicants must be able to create and edit template files, create and edit custom modules and administrate the Drupal architecture. Alongside Drupal, will work in various PHP frameworks that requires at a minimum an intermediate level of PHP developing skills.
- Ability to interface with Linux, NGINX, Apache, including SSL and PCI compliance. Interact with servers using SSH, FTP and Telnet protocols.
- Monitoring website technical performance, web servers, and other web systems. Projects include web layout enhancements, website enhancements, web-based applications, and database-backed websites using MySQL, NoSQL and MSSQL Server.
This position has the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in web development, graphic design, fine art(new genres), journalism, public relations, marketing, computer science, information technology or related field is preferred.
- Certificates and continuing education coursework in web-related areas is highly desirable.
- Three years’ experience in Internet and web-based programming and development. Demonstrated accomplishment in web management for a university or museum is preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working with various database systems including MySQL NoSQL, and MSSQL Server.
- Experience administering and working with Linux NGNIX, Apache, including SSL and PCI compliance.
- Project life cycle methodologies and software development in a Web environment. Able to work from functional and technical design specifications.
- An understanding of the components of high-quality digital UX/graphic design.
- Able to collaborate to develop user flows, site-maps and wireframes for websites, Content Management Systems and other database-driven web applications.
- An understanding of the components of high-quality social media, graphic design, motion design and applications for cutting-edge user experiences.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full time, non-exempt position.Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
This opportunity is on site, telecommuting is not available.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.