The Broad Stage
Santa Monica, CA
Department: Front of House
Reports To: Director, Audience Services
Position Type: Regular, Full-time (exempt)
Front of House staff are the face of The Broad Stage. Having the highest volume of interactions with the majority of the public, Front of House is a critical part to the success of any performance. The Front of House Manager position is responsible for maintaining a strong Front of House team that helps to support both the work on stage as well as the work of their sister departments and the organization as a whole. Whether at performances, special events, or in our administrative offices, the Front of House Manger helps to create a safe and welcoming environment for all guests of The Broad Stage
• Oversee daily operations for Front of House and volunteer programs
• Reinforce or develop procedures for executing workflow effectively and efficiently
• Assist with recruitment, scheduling, supervision, and development of paid and unpaid staff
• Maintain presentation and functionality of theater and publicly used spaces
• Includes cleanliness of theater, assisting with scheduled work orders, coordinating parking staff, etc.
• Coordinate sale of and proper accounting for artist merchandise
• Monitor patrons during performance and address issues of audience behavior, safety, and comfort as they arise
• Train staff in best practices for safety and customer service
• Should also be knowledgeable in standard ADA requirements for performances spaces
• Work closely with Development, Production, and all departments within Audience Services
• Understand and address of needs from various productions and programs
• i.e. a student matinee may have different needs than a gala; staffing smaller, donor oriented events may actually require a higher level of detail than most mainstage productions, etc.
• One year or more of hands-on, live theater Front of House experience
• Ability to deal discretely and sensitively with disruptive or dissatisfied patrons
• Excellent and clear verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot
• Takes initiative; can work well independently and as part of a team
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Computer proficiency in Excel and Word
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands: required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds
• Front of House staff are required to move about in the theater, including navigating crowds
• Climbing one or more flights of stairs, as well as moving about on the upper levels of the balcony are requirements of Front of House staff on each shift
This is a full-time position, with scheduling that regularly includes nights and weekends.
If interested, please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.