Los Angeles, CA
About Young StorytellersWe have a simple mission: to inspire young people to discover the power of their voice. Using one-on-one mentorship, low-income students learn how to write original stories and see them brought to life on stage and film. Thanks to thousands of volunteer mentors, actors, and professional teaching artists, we serve more than 50 public schools in Los Angeles and New York City, reaching 1,000 students in elementary, middle, and high school each year. As a result, young people learn that their voice matters. For more information, please visit www.YoungStorytellers.com.
About the ProgramMovie Makers is a 22 week after school program that guides middle school students through the process of creating their own short film. Professional Teaching Artists work with high school mentors to help students develop ideas using group activities and hands-on experience. Professional actors are recruited to perform in the films while Movie Makers students act as directors and cinematographers. The program culminates in both a screening for family and friends and the creation of a trailer for the film that the students use to pitch their project to industry producers.
Position OverviewThe Movie Makers Program Director oversees all aspects of the ongoing program and is responsible for refining the curriculum, hiring and managing teaching artists (head mentors), and developing positive relationships with our partner schools. The right fit would also eventually take on Program Directing our high school filmmaking program, POV.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Refine our Movie Makers curriculum through first hand observations and the input of head mentors and YS staff.
- Adjust summer bootcamp weeklong versions of the Movie Makers curriculum to pilot changes to the yearlong program and potentially incorporate different types of movie making (e.g. stop motion animation).
- Create and refine trainings for head mentors and mentors that effectively communicates student engagement strategies along with program curriculum and culture.
- To develop and support head mentors through semi annual trainings, program visits, program reports, and ongoing email communication.
- Work with fellow program staff to develop, refine, and oversee middle school student and high school mentor recruitment strategies.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with partner schools through ongoing communication with school liaisons and participating middle and high school teachers.
- Help coordinate yearly Big Screenings with partner middle schools and entertainment partners.
- Upload and maintain student created work on YS YouTube playlists.
- Participate in weekly YS and program staff meetings.
- Work with fellow program staff to ensure that we provide sequential programming to students in elementary, middle and high school that align with our mission, program goals, and learning objectives.
- Continue to develop the Movie Makers culture, assisting in creation of documentaries, film screenings, and more opportunities to tell the story of the program.Qualifications Required
- Passionate about Young Storytellers’ mission and impact with a particular interest in working with young people ages 11-18.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Educational or Professional Background in the film industry along with experience working with young people, creating narrative stories, and managing adults.
- Strong collaborative and communication skills.
- Able to receive and give direct yet supportive non judgemental feedback.
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor.
- Spark, imagination, creativity
- Diverse and bilingual (Spanish) candidates highly encouraged to apply.How to ApplyAnticipated start date is February 2016. This is a four day a week (with the strong possibility of expanding to full time by the Fall of 2016) salaried position with paid health insurance, retirement savings program, and generous paid-time off / holidays.
Please email the following in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Movie Makers Program Director / LAST NAME.
- Salary History or Minimum Salary Requirements
- A brief paragraph stating why you are interested in working for Young Storytellers (Be specific and do your research. Why do you want to work with us not just in arts/media arts education?)
- Briefly answer the following questions. You may answer them in written form or by creating a video to express yourself!1. Tell us about an adult that impacted your life when you were a child.2. What interests you most about a movie making program that develops soft skills (builds confidence and community and develops communication and problem solving skills) for middle school students?
Do you like this post?