Long Beach, CA
Position: Music Teacher
Description: Trained in string pedagogy, the Music Teacher plans and implements high quality music instruction for the Saturday and/or weekday classes in alignment with the LBUSD Harmony Project program.
Specialty: Harmony Project is hiring teachers that specialize in violin, viola and cello only.
Status: This is a part-time position.
Availability: Monday-Thursday 2pm-4:30pm (TBD)
Pay rate: $50/hour
Start Date: Instruction will begin Fall 2017
- Learn about and align with the Harmony Project model for creating community through music.
- Rehearses small and large group lessons aligned with the site curriculum, and assists in orchestra rehearsals as needed.
- Collaborates with site Music Director and other team members to develop and implement weekly lessons.
- Responsible for setting up and tearing down the rehearsal space, with team member assistance.
- Works with Harmony Project staff in keeping track of student attendance.
- Aid in assessing student music learning outcomes through regular evaluations.
- Communicates information to students and families regarding scheduling, schedule changes, performances, appropriate student conduct and any behavioral issues.
- Personally and musically acts as a mentor and positive adult role model.
- Attends staff meetings and professional development workshops throughout the year.
- Exceptional skills in string pedagogy and class instruction
- A love for working with youth ages 7-12
- Knowledge and experience in teaching general music
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and comfort working in a team
- Enthusiasm for community-based social change work
- Passion for helping to develop a nationally-recognized program
- Capacity to be flexible and maintain a sense of humor
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders
- Piano proficiency is a plus, but not a requirement
- Spanish proficiency is a plus, but not a requirement
Please send resume, references, lesson plan sample for ages 7-10, and brief cover letter to:
Rebecca Rivera, program manager at email@example.com
Subject Line: Music Teacher-Long Beach
Applications will be reviewed immediately.
ABOUT HARMONY PROJECT
Harmony Project is Los Angeles’ largest 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization solely dedicated to music education for youth. We have been recognized as one of the most effective arts-based youth interventions in the nation. To learn more about Harmony Project please visit harmony-project.org
OUR MISSION IS:
- To promote the healthy growth and development of children through the study, practice and performance of music.
- To build healthier communities by investing in the positive development of children through music.
- To develop children as musical ambassadors of peace, hope and understanding amongst people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and beliefs.
We accomplish this by bringing quality music instruction and ensemble playing to children who otherwise would not have access to it; complementing music education with supporting resources and opportunities; and, fostering a community of families that actively support their children’s growth and development.
Harmony Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.