Los Angeles, CA
Outfest seeks a skilled, hands-on Director of Individual Giving (DIG) excited by, and committed to, helping the organization to grow and fulfill its mission. The DIG is responsible for planning, implementing and overseeing Outfest’s individual giving and outreach strategies. As a key member of the senior team, the DIG represents Outfest's development interests to constituencies, both internal and external. The DIG will collaborate with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and staff to achieve fiscal goals and build an annual case for support.
The Director of Individual Giving will succeed and lead by example in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and collaborative working environment. The ideal candidate balances the need and relevance of programs with the efficiency of best practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
- Direct an Individual Giving program generating $525,000 in annual giving, with an emphasis on prospecting, cultivation and moves management activities aimed at growth of 5% annually
- Work with the Board of Directors to engage current and prospective major donors, to include correspondence and in-person meetings
- Develop and execute an annual strategy for major donors ($1,500+), with an emphasis on expansion and diversification
- Develop and execute an annual strategy for both new and renewing/upgrading members at the General Membership ($50-$750) levels
- Maintain personal responsibility for a portfolio accounting for $50,000 per year in sustainable annual individual giving revenue, with appropriate increases in each subsequent year.
- Plan and execute multiple cultivation, solicitation, and appreciation events annually
- Create and execute two annual membership campaigns and an end-of-year giving campaign focused on both general members and Major Donors. As well as strategic marketing and communication initiatives related to contributors.
- Launch and manage a Planned Giving campaign
- Oversee use and proper management of database and correspondence
- Ensure collection of membership gifts and past due accounts
- Adhere to federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major donor gift prospects
- Manage fundraising elements of special events, such as The Legacy Awards and other special events, in conjunction with the Corporate Relations Manager to include ticket sales, sponsors, tribute journal ad sales and live auctions
- Maintain department budget, working with senior team members to establish appropriate goals for income across all programs
- Responsible for timely and accurate collection and reporting of contributions
- Recruiting, developing, coaching, inspiring, and motivating a strong development team.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of best practices, significant developments and trends in philanthropy, nationally and to the Los Angeles region, and adapting fundraising strategies as necessary
- Undertake projects and duties as assigned by Executive Director
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated success as a front-line fund-raiser, with increasing levels of responsibility and success (Expertise in individual major donors/gifts required, experience with corporate sponsors and grants a plus.)
- Proven track record of meeting and/or exceeding annual revenue goals.
- Proven track record of well-honed skills in developing long-term individual and corporate donor cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience supervising and motivating staff and working directly with Board members.
- A commitment to Outfest’s mission and an understanding of its programs and their role in the broader LGBT Movement.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; a high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, including attention to detail.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to succeed under pressure.
- Ability to be both engaging and professional when making presentations at events and meetings.
- Ability to work well with others and to exhibit strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge of fundraising database systems such as PatronManager (preferred) or Razor’s Edge, MS Office Suite applications and Internet.
To be considered for this position please supply:
- Salary History or Minimum Salary Requirements
- A brief statement as to why you are interested in working for Outfest
- Two Professional References (minimum)
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org