Los Angeles, CA
Petersen Automotive Museum
Title: Program Assistant
Department: Private Events / Education
Reports to: Private Events Sales Manager / Education Coordinator
FLSA: Non-exempt/ Part-Time
The Program Assistant is responsible for facilitating the Children’s Birthday Party Program, which can include gallery visits, hands-on experiences, craft activities, and time spent in the Cars Mechanical Institute in the Discovery Center and using the CARSpad experience (augmented reality game on iPads).
The Cars Mechanical Institute is a hands-on gallery geared toward young learners and families. The Program Assistant will coordinate with the Events and Education Departments to ensure that the Gallery is ready and available for use during a party and will facilitate the experience for the guests.
In addition to facilitating the Birthday Party Program, the Program Assistant will be trained to manage the daily operations of the Cars Mechanical Institute, which include interacting with visitors, demonstrating hands-on activity stations, checking out iPads, and fostering a welcoming environment for volunteers and the public. S/he will provide customer service support, be knowledgeable about museum content, and will maintain daily gallery operations and appearance. A regular Monday shift can be guaranteed, as well as “as needed” weekend support for high visitation times and fill-in shifts for other Gallery Facilitators due to illness or time off.
Birthday Party Program Essential Functions:
- Interacting positively with children and party clients including: staffing and assisting in the use of the Cars Mechanical Institute, the CARSpad Experience, gallery tours, assisting with craft activities, assisting with set up and break down, overseeing refreshments, demonstrating a helpful attitude at all times, and providing accurate information about the Children’s Birthday Party Program and the Petersen Automotive Museum
- Acquiring knowledge of the museum, museum programs, and familiarity with the various resources that are available to visitors
- Communicating all pertinent information to the Private Events Sales Manager and for contributing ideas to improve the Children’s Birthday Party Program
- Executing a variety of support tasks including: operating freight elevator, ability to lift up to fifty pounds, office duties such as photocopying and faxing, and special projects as assigned.
- Performing other work-related duties as assigned
Cars Mechanical Institute Essential Functions:
- Assisting visitors with CARSpad interactive iPad experiences
- Managing the check-out and return of iPads
- Facilitating interactive demonstrations at gallery stations
- Implementing inquiry-based learning and interactive educational techniques
- Providing direction and guidance to visitors concerning other galleries
- Working with and mentoring Discovery Center volunteers
- Ensuring that objects and resources are handled carefully and safely
- Maintaining gallery cleaning procedures and ensuring that supplies are replenished as needed
- Performing crowd control during peak times
- Participating in staffing Family Days and other special youth programs as required
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Experience in an informal education setting in either a volunteer or paid position.
- At least one year experience working directly with public and with children.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to relate to children and adults.
- Superb customer service skills: patience, tact, sense of humor.
- Ability to operate successfully and multi-task in an ever-changing environment.
- High school degree and some college preferred, with course work in education, museum studies, science, history and/or related disciplines.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Familiarity with technology; ability to work with technology in an educational capacity
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Bilingualism (Spanish) preferred
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Approximately 18 hours per week depending on birthday party bookings and Cars Mechanical Institute coverage needs, with opportunity for more hours on an “as needed” basis. Regular schedule Saturdays and Sundays 9am-2pm and Mondays 10am-6pm. May include occasional weekend holidays.
Fax or email cover letter and resume to: Petersen Automotive Museum, Private Events Department 323-964-6422 (fax) or email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant” in the subject.