City of Torrance
CITY OF TORRANCE invites applications for the position of:
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (CULTURAL SERVICES) (AT-WILL)
SALARY: $24.77 - $30.10 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 09/12/17
CLOSING DATE: 10/02/17 05:30 PM
Come be a part of the City of Torrance Cultural Services Division by joining their team as their new Program Coordinator! Serving as a unified campus for learning and excellence, the Cultural Services Division provides classes, programs, and events at the Cultural Arts Center that enrich the community through arts training and instruction and physical fitness/development for all levels of learning. Proudly housing four dance studios with sprung hard wood floors, ceramics and jewelry making studios, painting and drawing studios, and a music/drama room, the Center offers hundreds of classes annually for all ages and all levels of ability, in visual and performing arts, exercise, martial arts, and sports.
As part of the team, the Program Coordinator plans, organizes, develops, and supervises classes, programs and special events. This individual develops venues, projects and materials for promotion and publication for fine arts, performing arts, exercise and sports classes, and recreational events; coordinates scheduling of classes with relevant departments; responds to customer inquiries and complaints concerning programs and classes offered; coordinates program details to ensure quality; and trains and supervises part-time staff.
The Program Coordinator may be required to work flexible hours, including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
For a detailed job description, click here.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Completion of one year of coursework within a recreation-related specialty, fine arts, performing arts or a related field.
One year of specific and substantial full-time experience which prepares one to function in this position may be substituted for the required year of education. Related part-time experience will be credited in proportion to the average amount of time worked per year.
License and/or Certificates
A valid Class C California Drive r's License
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the most successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor's Degree in business or public administration, recreation, arts administration, fine arts, or performing arts field;
- Experience working in either visual arts, performing arts, or physical education and recreation;
- Passion for working in the arts;
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to multi task;
- Ability to collect and analyze data;
- Willingness to implement new programs and initiatives;
- Tech-savvy and advanced experience utilizing social media;
- Entrepreneurial and accessible nature and ability to collaborate with others;
- Experience in leading a team and working effectively with consultants, contractors, and advisors;
- Strategic problem solving skills and ability to solve issues or problems from a broad perspective;
- Experience working within a budget;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Flexibility; and
- Supervisory experience desired.
- Previous experience working in a Municipality or an arts center is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY & EXAM PROCESS
Interested candidates must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. The application filing period opens Tuesday, September 12, 2017 and closes Monday, October 02, 2017 at 5:30 p.m.
Only those candidates who best meet the City and Department's needs will be invited to participate in the testing process, which will consist of the following components:
Panel Interview - 100% (Tentatively scheduled on October 19, 2017.)
Applicants with disabilities who require special testing arrangements must contact Human Resources.
As a condition of employment, candidates must pass a background check and a pre-employment medical examination.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.