Los Angeles, CA
PEN America is seeking a full-time intern in the Los Angeles office to help develop and implement new outreach strategies for the organization's literary programming throughout the greater L.A. area. The intern will give particular support in creating an outreach and promotion strategy for the 2019 Emerging Voices Fellowship application. The intern may be asked to assist with the outreach efforts of other PEN America programming channels. Together, these projects give a holistic picture of the logistics and processes of outreach at an arts nonprofit. The intern will be given guidance regarding our programs and their history and strategies, but is expected to be a creative and self-starter.
PEN America internships offer a unique opportunity to learn more about the L.A. literary community and human rights advocacy. Interns will be exposed to the company’s diverse range of programming and departments. This opportunity aims to provide selected candidates with a broad range of experiences in preparation for a career in the editorial, communications, or not-for-profit sectors. Every effort is made to match candidates’ job responsibilities to their unique interests and strengths.
The Intern will assist with a variety of work, including but not limited to:
- Planning, developing, and implementing outreach strategies for the Emerging Voices Fellowship application;
- Contributing to the Emerging Voices Fellowship’s existing online presence through social media outreach and promotion in focused campaigns;
- Drafting social media text and graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram;
- Drafting and/or editing press releases, email newsletters, and other web content;
- Communicating with area literary organizations and publications to promote the Fellowship and its upcoming application;
- Reaching out to alumni of the fellowship and coordinating their involvement in publicizing the fellowship;
- Contributing research for expanding our current media contacts list; and
- Administrative and other office support as necessary.
The following skills will be taken into consideration in selection of an intern (not all are required):
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to multi-task and organize;
- An interest in the greater literary world and associated issues;
- A willingness to work at and attend literary events;
- Excellent proofreading and research skills;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and social media tools;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Filemaker, and InDesign a plus, basic HTML and web content management a major plus; and
- Experience with social media networking, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a cover letter and resume to Amanda Fletcher at email@example.com. All qualified applicants will participate in a preliminary phone interview and a select few will be required to interview in person.
About PEN America
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
This internship is sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. 2018 Arts Internship positions will be open to currently enrolled undergraduate (2 or 4-year) college students who reside or attend college in Los Angeles County. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 1, 2018, or will complete their undergraduate degree between May 1 – September 1, 2018 in order to participate. Students must be able to legally work in the United States. Students will be expected to provide verification of eligibility via college transcripts, a driver’s license and other documents to show enrollment status and/or LA County residence.
This is a 10 week, full time, paid position starting in June and ending in August.