Palo Alto, CA
Pace Gallery, a leading modern and contemporary art gallery, is seeking a part-time (2-3 days a week) Registrar/Shipping Coordinator for our Palo Alto, CA, location, to manage all aspects of art movement, installation, shipping and registrar-related duties. The ideal candidate will be a professional, positive self-starter with excellent communication skills and exceptional attention to detail. S/he must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have a flexible and cooperative attitude. Previous registrar/art handling and/or commercial art gallery experience is required.
- Work closely with Palo Alto dealers, Pace New York and other global Pace shipping and registrar staff on shipments, exhibitions, condition reports, framing, etc.
- Coordinate local and domestic shipments of incoming/outgoing inventory, consignments, approvals, loans, exhibitions, art fairs and special projects.
- Work with external vendors to secure shipping estimates as requested from dealers’ offices.
- Prioritize shipping activity as necessary in terms of client/dealer needs.
- Track all shipments to final destination. Monitor and resolve any issues which arise to ensure safe, timely delivery of shipments.
- Follow through with all paperwork and record keeping related to artwork shipments: invoices, re-bills, collection of BOL’s, etc.
- Approve shipping, installation and framing-related invoices and work with Pace accounting department to ensure timely payment to vendors. Record relevant info/costs in inventory system.
- Update inventory system with artwork movements in a timely manner.
- Conduct timely, thorough condition reports for artworks and update inventory system with relevant notes; save condition report images on the server.
- Complete accession forms for artworks that first arrive at Pace Palo Alto location and updated inventory system/update relevant Pace departments of cataloguing changes as necessary.
- Liaise with Pace art handler, registrar and shipping departments, artist studios and outside sources to obtain, vet and recommend artwork installation and packing information.
- Manage exhibition lists and promises/transfers for outgoing artworks in inventory system as directed by dealers’ offices.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the gallery’s best practices, procedures and protocols.
- Additional job responsibilities as assigned.
- BA Degree Required in Art History, Studio Art or related field.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in an art-related field, preferably at a commercial art gallery, museum or shipping company; registrar, shipping and/or art handling experience is required.
- Familiarity with fine art packing and shipping best practices.
- Knowledge of and experience with safe art handling procedures and installing artwork; must be able to assist with moving/packing/unpacking crates, etc.
- Experience and comfortability with condition reporting artworks of varying media.
- Must possess a professional, positive demeanor and be a self-starter.
- Excellent client service abilities with demonstrated success working with vendors and clients.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment is essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook are required
Qualified applicants please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com, Subject line: Registrar/Shipping Coordinator Palo Alto.
Applicants must meet the minimum years of required experience to be considered for the position. No phone calls please. Pace is an Equal Opportunity Employer