Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
Los Angeles, CA
Department: marketing department
full time position/non-exempt
LACO’s marketing team is responsible for positioning the Orchestra in the community to create a positive and attractive image that promotes organizational pride, good publicity, robust and effective fundraising and realized ticket income. The team’s primary goals are to develop excellent relationships with existing and new patrons, reach annual sales goals, achieve full houses to develop patrons who become lifelong music lovers, and ultimately donors to support the Orchestra.
In support of the marketing and advancement departments, the senior box office and patron services associate is the first point of contact for most current and prospective Orchestra patrons, and is responsible for box office planning, fulfillment, database management and patron services. The senior associate acts as an administrator of LACO’s CRM system, Patron Manager (based in Sales Force), and as the liaison between Patron Manager and the LACO staff. This position embraces LACO’s tagline of “making great music personal” in all interactions with the Orchestra’s patrons and the community at large.
The senior box office and patron services associate reports to the director of marketing and works closely with LACO’s marketing manager, LACO’s advancement team and the finance director. The senior box office and patron services associate coordinates as necessary with LACO venue box office treasurers; LACO’s CRM system vendor (Patron Manager); public relations and telemarketing consultants; database and list brokers, printers and mail houses. Cross-training, support and cooperation is expected in all areas.
scope & responsibilities
box office and ticketing
- Supervise all box office operations, including subscription, single ticket, group and online sales; ensuring prompt and accurate ticket fulfilment and financial reporting to include daily balancing of sales and income reports
- Serve as primary point of contact for subscription and ticketing needs presenting patrons with service and assistance consistent with the Orchestra’s policies and practices, including handling of VIP ticket requests from Orchestra executives, donors and artists
- Prepare complete season setup in Patron Manager CRM, build houses, create seat allocations, prepare discount pricing and tracking
- Manage subscriber data to generate renewal notices, working alongside the senior marketing and sales associate to reach ticketing goals and with the advancement team to achieve contributed income goals for add-on donations with ticket sales
- Uphold current ticket policies and advise on changes and adjustments as necessary
- Liaise with box office management of venues new to LACO, managing the creation of new houses for LACO concert sales; communicating regarding ADA requirements; and managing ticket scanners and training of house staff to work with LACO’s systems
- Liaise with telemarketing vendor to provide lists needed, manage promotions and fulfil orders
- Staff box office on concert weekends and evenings
- Create and distribute weekly sales and tracking reports
- Manage and maintain technological upgrades to streamline box office functions and improve efficiency and provide better customer service
- Create and update subscription renewal forms and ticket order/request forms
direct response and relationship marketing
- Manage and continuously improve levels of customer service through staff training, system upgrades and new PatronManager systems and features
- Work closely with LACO’s advancement team to provide special assistance to LACO donors and VIPs
- Continuously strategize with Marketing and Advancement teams to maximize sales, improve customer experience and achieve house fill goals
- Encourage a welcoming, enthusiastic and positive atmosphere among box office staff and other colleagues helping to take and fulfil orders, providing excellent customer service to all LACO patrons
- Assist with the preparation and editing of brochures for accuracy of ticketing information and pricing
The ideal candidate is friendly and personable, has 2 – 3 years box office experience with exceptional customer service skills and a great phone manner. He/she is an organized, enthusiastic self-starter who pays meticulous attention to detail, is adept at time management and juggling multiple projects, and has a passion for classical music with a strong interest in pursuing a career in arts administration. A sharp memory for patron names and needs is a decided plus. An undergraduate degree is required; an emphasis in marketing, advertising, public relations or music is preferred. Excellent written and verbal skills as well as relevant experience in arts administration, box office, a related industry or not-for-profit organization are required. The candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Knowledge of ticketing and CRM systems is highly desirable. Position includes some weekend, evening and overtime hours. EOE
Email resume, comprehensive cover letter and 2-3 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please
about los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (LACO), proclaimed “America's finest chamber orchestra” by Public Radio International and “resplendent” by the Los Angeles Times, has established itself among the world's top musical ensembles. Since 1997, LACO has performed under the baton of acclaimed conductor and pianist Jeffrey Kahane, hailed by critics as “visionary” and “a conductor of uncommon intellect, insight and musical integrity” with “undeniable charisma,” “effortless musicality and extraordinary communicative gifts.” Under Kahane’s leadership, the Orchestra maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. During its almost 50-year history, the Orchestra has made 31 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, performed across North America and garnered eight ASCAP Awards for Adventurous Programming. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, LACO presents its Orchestral Series on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre/Ambassador Auditorium and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; Baroque Conversations at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall; and Westside Connections chamber music series, designed to illustrate the relationship between music and other artistic disciplines, at the Moss Theater in Santa Monica. LACO also presents a Concert Gala; LACO @ the Movies, an annual film event featuring the Orchestra performing the score live; and several fundraising salons each year. Additionally, LACO outreach programs, Meet the Music, Community Partners, Campus to Concert Hall and the LACO/USC Thornton Strings Mentorship Program, reach thousands of young people annually, nurturing future musicians and composers as well as inspiring a love of classical music.