Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
position title: special events intern
reports to: annual giving & special events manager
part time position/non-exempt
The ideal candidate for the position of Special Events Intern will be a personable, detail oriented problem solver with excellent communication skills. The Intern must possess the ability to organize a lot of information in a clear, concise manner, and respond both quickly and with imagination to a variety of simultaneous challenges. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working with a variety of VIPs and community leaders in a respectful and confident manner. Solid computer skills including the use of databases, Microsoft Word and Excel are a must. The Intern will be required to work some evening and weekend hours.
This is a part-time, paid internship with hours increasing to full-time in advance of the 2016 Concert Gala on February 13, 2016.
special events at LACO
In 2015-2016, LACO has a variety of special events, including the annual Concert Gala, an annual Film fundraising event and several in-home fundraising and donor appreciation events. In total, special events are responsible for raising $725,000 of the Orchestra’s annual budget. While providing development support for events as needed, the primary project for this internship will be developing, organizing and running the silent and live auctions for our annual Concert Gala.
The special events intern reports to the Annual Giving & Special Events Manager, and works regularly with the development and marketing departments.
Support development department on special events by
- maintaining the auction database, mailing coordination and communications
- track and follow-up with potential auction donors via phone, email and snail mail
- manage the auction needs, communicating regularly with the annual giving & special events manager, development associate and gala committee members regarding items received and those still needed to round out the auction
- assisting in the creation of the auction catalog, both online and in print
- assist in the research of current trends and best practices for charity auctions
- assist with on-site auction coordination from set-up through tear-down
- auction follow-up and acknowledgement
- assist with coordinating additional event and development mailings, lists, timely acknowledgements, and filing as needed
- additional projects as needed
- learn how a nonprofit arts organization functions
- experience working in an office environment with staff members at all levels
- gain hands-on experience in major special events by working on silent auction, live auction, and event planning
- gain knowledge of annual donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and recognition
- experience arts promotion, patron services, and advertising
Please email resume and comprehensive cover letter to:firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Special Events Intern.”
about the los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is “America’s finest chamber orchestra.” (Jim Svejda of PRI’s The Record Shelf) Since its inaugural concerts in 1969, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra has established itself among the world’s top musical ensembles. Under the baton of prominent pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane since 1997, LACO maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. In its 45-year history, the Orchestra has made 31 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, and performed across North America, earning adulation from audiences and critics. LACO presents seven Orchestral Series concerts on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre or Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; five Baroque Conversations concerts at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall at The Colburn School; three Westside Connections chamber music concerts; and an annual Discover concert, which features an in-depth examination that sheds new light on a single piece of music, at Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium. In addition, LACO presents a Concert Gala, Silent Film screening and several fundraising events each year. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles and managed by a staff of 12 full- and several part-time employees, LACO offers a collegial workplace and welcomes innovative thinking and initiative.