Megan Geckler Studio
Los Angeles, CA
Megan Geckler Studio is an artist-run studio operating out of the Arts District of Los Angeles, CA. We make large-scale, site-specific installation artworks out of a variety of materials including flagging tape (construction tape), dyed rope, aluminum, digital output methods and substrates, and others. Our clients include museums and galleries as well as corporations and cities around the world.
Please do visit our website: megangeckler.com --prior to applying for this position. There are work examples and videos of the artworks being created. From these videos, you will be able to see that the job is very physically demanding, requiring that you are able to stand for long periods of time, are extremely comfortable working on ladders, scissor lifts, and scaffolding. It also requires a great deal of manual dexterity and attention to detail.
About the position:
The weekly average for this position is expected to be at least 15 hours per week and may exceed 40+ hours at other times, depending on the workload, and especially during art installations. You must have flexibility in your availability and schedule.
Part of this job could be done remotely with excellent communication skills – it could be a 2 day a week in-person job with a few hours scattered across the other days of the week with this work completed off-site.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about operating the back end of an art studio and running a business. We are looking for someone who can grow with the company over the years. This is not a temporary position. The ideal person would want to keep this job for multiple years.
We fully understand that all candidates might not have experience in 100% of the following areas. We are willing to teach and train the right person. You should be open and willing to learn new techniques and skills. It is possible this position will be split between two people, so if you think you are a good fit for most of the following, please apply!
- Valid driver's license and car insurance required
- Ability to travel without restrictions around the world with a valid passport (international travel experience a plus)
- Ability to lift materials up to 50lbs is greatly helpful in our studio warehouse environment as well as being comfortable working at elevated heights on lifts, ladders and scaffolding
The ideal candidate has the following skills and experience:
- Multitasking! Comfortable juggling many moving targets, this position requires you to wear many different hats
- Discretion regarding personal and company information
- Positive demeanor and overall can-do attitude, this is a people-oriented position, a pleasant attitude and excitement for the work is always necessary
- Verbal and written communication skills (excellent spelling and grammar required), ability to write with clarity and passion, ability to use the lexicon of fine art
- A problem solver and self-starter, with a figure-it-out / can-do mentality
- Excellent time-management skills both for yourself and the team
- Extremely organized experience working with a team of people and communicating effectively with them, as well as clients, in a timely and professional manner, able to keep track of many different things at once, and have the ability to use tech-based organizational tools like Google Drive plug-ins and Asana
- Experience working one-on-one and with a team to develop ideas, project strategies, and timelines
- Comfortable with project management; including logistics and team workflow, able to maintain and issue status reports, and communicate with team members effectively
- -Ability to communicate with a wide variety of people of all ages and backgrounds. We do a lot of community engagement during projects teaching workshops, lectures, and working with local volunteers around the world, so if you have led a workshop, taught a class, were a camp counselor, etc – I would love to know about it.
- Have experience researching new materials, soliciting services, communicating with vendors, etc. Bonus points for any marketing / sales experience.
- Spanish-speaking and writing skills a plus!
Administrative / Graphic Design Skills:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Google Drive (Google Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge (MAC platform) file and layer management in all programs (we use CS6), as well as the ability to create professional presentation decks with accompanying project and client language in Illustrator, PDF creation
- Quick and precise typing skills
- Photography skills (a basic understanding of dSLRs, lighting, setting up equipment)
- Bonus points for Rhino, Grasshopper, rendering, or CAD skills ability to open these files and poke around would be ideal at the very least, as we do have an architect on our team!
- Experience applying for public art calls, or similar form-based data entry RFQ / RFP experience is ideal
Studio assistant skills:
- Hands on experience making detail-oriented, hand-crafted objects (art, design, craft, etc.)
- Design skills, hand and electric tool skills, basic or advanced carpentry, creation, finishing, and proper painting of elements (pedestals, canvasses and panels)
- Experience hanging/displaying artworks (Preparator skill set). Could also include DIY home improvement skills
- Keen eye for color, able to easily differentiate between similar colors, basic knowledge of pigment mixing
- Precision-oriented (many of the processes the studio uses are extremely detail-oriented and require careful handling to a hyper-specific level)
- Math proficiency, comfortable reading a tape measure, doing quick math, and reading blueprints
- Comfortable asking questions
- Understanding of warehouse and job-site etiquette as well as proper attire in these circumstances
- Experience precision measuring a plus (dyeing, baking, moldmaking, etc.)
Hourly compensation: $15 $22, based on skill set and experience
Job Type: Independent contractor, 1099
How to apply:
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any applicants who do not submit applications with the required materials, or do not follow the directions precisely, will not be considered for this position.
Please include in PDF format not to exceed 5MB and 10 pages total
Cover letter – Communicate your enthusiasm for the position to us, and tell us a bit about yourself, let us know why you are applying for this job. Please do consider this to be a sample of your professional writing skills. This job requires a great deal of writing, so please display your skills in the cover letter. (1 page maximum)
Portfolio – show photos of some of the projects you have worked on, either for others or yourself, include a short written description for each image. Consider this a “sample client presentation deck”, this should display your skill set re: template creation, formatting, clear layout of information. Please use Illustrator/InDesign.
Resume – list relevant job experience and three references (Name, job title, email and phone #). If you have any fluency in other languages, please include that as well. (2 pages maximum)
Links to any online content that you have put out into the world – writing for blogs, instagram, tumblr, anything that displays your social media savvy