Long Beach, CA
Job Title: Teaching Artist
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: Per program, dependent on experience
Employment basis: Part Time employee on a per project basis
Application Deadline: Friday, October 27, 2017
ABOUT DRAMATIC RESULTS
Dramatic Results is an award-winning, non-profit, agency based in Long Beach, California whose mission has been to solve educational challenges through the arts since 1992. Dramatic Results specializes in arts integrated, project-based, curricula that is aligned to State and National Standards.
Dramatic Results is looking for Teaching Artists that are both centered in strong artistic practice and have the desire to share the skills and knowledge of their artform with students and community members. Successful candidates should have established classroom management and curriculum development skills specific to Title 1 schools and be comfortable training and/or coaching classroom teachers. Successful candidates should be flexible and versatile, willing to pivot their teaching and plans as needed.
Other benefits can include a stipend toward medical benefits and participation in the vision of creating a site-based well-equipped studio and performing space to support the art practice of Teaching Artists.
- Provide instruction for primary/secondary students and teachers on public school campuses, including Title 1 schools, as well as libraries, community centers, on site at Dramatic Results, and other various locations.
- Nurture and maintain professional and positive relationships with classroom teachers.
- Maintain classroom management and constant supervision during each activity.
- Develop and facilitate Professional Development workshops for classroom teachers, administrators, and community members and provide and receive feedback.
- Demonstrate mastery of the skills, knowledge and practices of your art form through original lessons, making relevant connections to classroom curricula, and be willing to adapt and implement existing curricula in a creative way.
- Ability to train classroom teachers in arts integration strategies using the art form.
- Arrive on campus at least 15 minutes prior to class presentation to check in with school site personnel.
- Be accountable for paperwork as required by program.
- Organize all materials for each lesson ahead of time and transport all materials to school for individual programs.
- Demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence when communicating with both students and adults.
- Adjust presentations to adapt to different learning abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively within a team as well as independently.
- Maintain a positive ‘can do’ attitude; Be proactive, flexible, and show initiative with projects, planning, and all activities related to this position.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset as an ability to take risks and try new things.
- Practice strong organizational and time management skills.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in education, art, music, theatre, dance, media arts, or related field or at least two years of experience working in a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Have an active artistic practice, which includes recent performances and/or exhibitions of work.
- Have experience implementing arts-based curriculum to children in a structured learning environment (K-5 especially) - preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be comfortable using basic office computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and MAC’s.
- Spanish and/or Khmer speaker a plus.
- Must have own transportation to travel to and from office site and various school sites and districts, including but not limited to: Long Beach.
- Must have a cell phone available for use during work hours.
- Ability to manage your own budget for each program.
- Must be able to pass a LiveScan and provide results from a TB test.
HOW TO APPLY
- Deadline for submitting your application is Friday, October 27, 2017.
- Submit your application to email@example.com and include a cover letter, resume, and examples or portfolio of your artistic work (This can be any of the following - website, video, photos, programs)
- To learn more about Dramatic Results visit the website at www.dramaticresults.org