Long Beach, CA
Description: A Teaching Artist plans and implements high quality music instruction during after-school and/or weekend hours in alignment with Harmony Project’s mission.
Specialty: Harmony Project is hiring teachers that specialize in violin, viola and cello only.
Status: This is a part-time position.
Availability: Tuesday and Wednesday 2pm-3:30pm
Pay rate: $50/hour
Start Date: Instruction will begin ASAP
- Learn about and align with the Harmony Project model for creating community through music.
- Creatively teach small group lessons twice weekly and/or during Saturday session
- Lead large group sectionals and assist in orchestra rehearsals as needed
- Act as a musical mentor and positive adult role model
- Act as the primary responsible party for communicating information to each student and his or her family concerning scheduling and cancellations, performances, appropriate student conduct and any behavioral issues, and excessive absences (in person and via phone and email)
- Communicate and cooperate with Harmony Project administrators in scheduling students, keeping track of each student’s attendance and progress
- Form effective instructional partnerships with fellow teaching artists via planning and co-teaching
- Aid in assessing student music learning outcomes
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and professional development workshops throughout the year
- Execute additional administrative tasks as necessary
- Collaborate on developing and implementing a curriculum that ensures that orchestra repertoire and group learning is the center of instruction
- Responsible for setting up and tearing down the rehearsal space
- Exceptional skills in music performance and arts instruction
- MUST have experience working with youth ages 7-10
- Knowledge and experience in teaching beginning students
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and comfort working in a team
- Enthusiasm for community-based social change work
- Passion for helping to develop a nationally-recognized program
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders, be personable and work flexibly
- Spanish proficiency a plus, not a requirement
Please send resume, references, lesson plan sample for ages 7-10, and brief cover letter to:
Rebecca Rivera, program manager at email@example.com
Subject Line: Teaching Artist-Long Beach
Applications will be reviewed immediately
ABOUT HARMONY PROJECT
Harmony Project is Los Angeles’ largest 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization solely dedicated to music education for youth. We have been recognized as one of the most effective arts-based youth interventions in the nation.
OUR MISSION IS:
- To promote the healthy growth and development of children through the study, practice and performance of music.
- To build healthier communities by investing in the positive development of children through music.
- To develop children as musical ambassadors of peace, hope and understanding amongst people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and beliefs.
We accomplish this by bringing quality music instruction and ensemble playing to children who otherwise would not have access to it; complementing music education with supporting resources and opportunities; and, fostering a community of families that actively support their children’s growth and development.
To learn more about Harmony Project please visit harmony-project.org
Harmony Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.