Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
The Skirball, an institution deeply rooted in Jewish heritage and inspired by its teachings and ideals, is seeking a Vice President of Public Programs. Our mission is to be a place of meeting guided by the Jewish tradition of welcoming the stranger and inspired by the democratic ideals of freedom and equality. The leader of the Program Department understands both Jewish heritage and Los Angeles’ diverse communities and seeks to create cultural experiences that celebrate discovery and hope, foster human connections, and call upon us to help build a more just society.
The Vice President of Public Programs will provide strategic leadership to the content and format of public programs, guiding the development, consideration, selection, and success of a full array of performing, literary, and media arts programs aligned with the Skirball’s mission. S/he works in partnership with museum, education, visitor experience, communications, marketing, and operations colleagues.
The Vice President of Programs reports to the Executive Vice President and supervises a team of approximately 5 staff that include an associate director, program specialists, a production manager, and an administrative assistant.
Key Responsibilities of the position include:
- Lead the Skirball Cultural Center in developing and implementing a rich array of high quality programs that express the center’s core mission and achieve goals of high audience engagement, community building and cross-cultural respect and appreciation.
- Demonstrate and utilize a familiarity with American Jewish culture; an aesthetic and cultural sensibility appropriate for an institution rooted in Jewish values and heritage while also authentically embracing the many heritages and identities that comprise the American experience, particularly in Los Angeles.
- Translate a mission, vision, and passion into clear priorities, objectives, initiatives and decisions.
- Enhance the Skirball’s reputation with audiences and performers as a premiere venue in Southern California for values-based storytelling and human connection through cultural programs that include music, film, lectures, literary programs, dance, and theater.
- Establish and maintain an effective network of professional contacts to ensure the Skirball’s ability to attract and present world-class speakers, artists and performers; build and maintain relationships with cultural partners and presenters locally and nationally.
- Guide, support, and nurture a departmental team through collaborative leadership and form productive relationships with colleagues across and beyond the Skirball.
- Oversee all aspects of public program presentation, from research and exploratory contacts through booking, promotion, ticketing, set-ups, audience flow, pre and post announcements, and event debriefs; ensure smooth coordination between public programs, guest services, operations, hospitality and the Skirball’s other departments.
- Participate in development activities including identifying, cultivating and soliciting benefactors; develop strategies and participate in preparing grant proposals.
- Work closely with the communication and marketing department to achieve a marketable schedule of programming and effective promotional strategies and materials.
- Represent the Skirball at public events, introducing speakers, artists and programs, framing events within the Skirball mission, monitoring audience flow and troubleshooting as needed.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team; contribute substantially to conversations about mission, goals, museum, education, program, and entrepreneurial initiatives; work across departments to build long- and short-term plans; promote an understanding of the Skirball’s philosophy, goals, and activities within and outside the Skirball.
Skills and Experience:
Senior level management experience creating, developing and implementing effective cultural programming.
Demonstrated success and track record of developing and cultivating effective working relationships with writers, public speakers, artists, agents, managers, tour promoters, artistic Vice Presidents of cultural venues, media contacts, donors and staff.
Portfolio demonstrating the breadth, quality and character of programming expertise.
Experience building, supporting, and leading collaborative and creative teams; talent and experience in building consensus and buy-in across levels of an organization.
Ability to manage, and to assist staff in managing multiple priorities and conflicting deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to negotiate contracts, prepare contracts for approval, develop budgets, allocate resources, and ensure compliance with administrative and fiscal policies.
Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Active listening and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop productive relationships across the organization and to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages, and economic backgrounds.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write for and speak to a wide variety of audiences; experience with social media, internet, and e-commerce tools.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter describing your skills and interests by mail, fax, or e-mail to:
Human Resources Department
Re: Vice President of Public Programs
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX (310) 440-4595