The Main Museum
Los Angeles, CA
Reports to Program Manager
The Visitor Experience Coordinator is a part-time position that oversees The Main Museum’s staff of Gallery Assistants. Gallery Assistants serve as an information resource on all facets of the museum, including exhibitions, the artist residency program, public programs, and events. Providing a seamlessly-welcoming visitor experience, they engage visitors in a positive, courteous, and professional manner.
When exhibitions are on view, the Visitor Experience Coordinator works 24 – 30 hours per week, Friday – Sunday during gallery hours (10:30am – 7:30pm), as well as during select public programs and special events. The position pays $17 per hour. Applications must be received by Sunday, October 1, 2017.
ABOUT THE MAIN MUSEUM
The Main Museum's mission is to engage the public with the most important ideas of our time through the art of Los Angeles. With a residency program at its center rather than a collection, The Main forefronts artists in its work and supports wide-ranging practices from artists at all stages in their careers. When complete, The Main will include a variety of exhibition galleries, additional studio spaces for its artist residency program, a rooftop plaza including an amphitheater and cafe, and a restaurant.
The Main Museum of Los Angeles Art is an exempt, non-profit organization under section 501(c)(3). It is located in downtown Los Angeles.
- Proactively provide visitors with information about The Main’s current exhibitions and programs and respond to inquiries
- Ensure that all visitors receive a high level of customer service and hospitality during their visit to the museum
- Participate in the hiring of Gallery Assistants
- Train and mentor Gallery Assistants, in collaboration with Program Manager
- Schedule Gallery Assistants and process bi-weekly timesheets
- Maintain the safety of art objects, visitors, and part-time staff
- Contribute to the setup, flow, and breakdown of programs and events
- Observe and report issues and potential hazards regarding the art and/or visitors
- Conduct research on how to best support a Visitor Experience department as The Main Museum grows
- Appreciation of and enthusiasm for the mission and role of The Main
- Exceptional customer service abilities
- Spanish language skills required
- Ability to understand information disseminated at training sessions, including but not limited to information regarding exhibitions, programs, and logistics; ability to accurately communicate such information to visitors
- Strong observational skills, including awareness of surroundings and ability to recognize details, changes, and anomalies in the Museum environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative and team-oriented working relationships
- Polished and professional interpersonal skills to effectively interact with visitors of diverse backgrounds
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook; proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop preferred
- Physical abilities to the perform all core job functions and duties; ability to move quickly from one area of the museum to another; ability to walk; stand for extended periods; hear; talk; occasionally lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds; visual acuity including central vision, peripheral vision, close vision, and distance vision
- Flexibility with working hours and scheduling; ability to work evenings and weekends
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Visitor Experience Coordinator” and your first and last name in the subject line. Applications must be received by Sunday, October 1, 2017.
No phone calls please.