Japanese American Cultural & Community Center
Los Angeles, CA
Founded in 1971, Japanese American Cultural & Community Center is one of the largest ethnic arts and cultural centers of its kind in the United States. A hub for Japanese and Japanese American arts and culture and a community gathering place for the diverse voices it inspires – Japanese American Cultural & Community Center connects traditional and contemporary; community participants and creative professionals; Southern California and the world beyond. It is a critical time in the organization’s life cycle as we are in growth mode and have two major projects we are embarking on: building a new Culinary Cultural Center and upgrades to the Aratani Theatre in preparation for the arrival of Allegiance, the musical starring George Takei in the Spring of 2018. jaccc.org
The Vice President of External Relations will lead JACCC’s fundraising and marketing/communications strategies in the U.S. and Japan and serve on JACCC’s leadership team. Serving as the agency’s chief development and communications officer, the Vice President will conceptualize, plan and execute a strategic and coordinated program to identify and tap opportunities to increase contributions through major and planned giving, membership, annual fund, direct response/e-philanthropy, corporate and foundation support, government funding and special events. The Vice President reports to the President & CEO and will work closely with an engaged and committed Board of Directors. Reporting to the Vice President is the Director of Special Events & Donor Engagement, Marketing & Development Manager and part-time Development Assistant. Additional resources include consultants in graphic design and special events, as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute a comprehensive development plan and fundraising strategies for Corporate, Government and Foundation, Individual Giving, Membership and Planned Giving to meet and then increase current fundraising goals;
- Provide strategic leadership and hands-on oversight for the Development team including assessing the department, defining short- and long-term goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes and timelines that will achieve budgeted goals and ensure accountability;
- Build and cultivate a portfolio of high net-worth donors including personally identifying and soliciting funding prospects; ensure the President and Development staff are actively and consistently meeting with donors and potential funders;
- Develop and operationalize capital campaign plans in collaboration with the President and Board; and
- Supervise the day-to-day functioning of the Development department including JACCC’s annual dinner, special events, reporting, budgeting, proposal writing, and research.
Marketing & Public Relations:
- Oversee the institutional and programmatic marketing;
- Investigate possibilities of program partnerships and strategic alliances that will extend the organization's brand in the community and increase avenues of support; and
- Work with the team to ensure JACCC’s public face – online and through the media – is consistent with achieving the JACCC’s mission and fundraising & earned revenue goals.
Board & Staff Development and Relations:
- Cultivate and manage relationships with the Board of Directors, and draw upon their talents and resources to enhance fundraising and community relations;
- Coordinate communications with the Board and Board fundraising committee;
- Organize and prepare materials, reports and financial briefings for Executive Committee and full Board meetings with a focus on strategies and outcomes; and
- Develop and maintain excellent collaborative working relations with program staff and other staff across JACCC to obtain information for reporting, comply with donor expectations and be aware of programmatic needs for funding.
- At least eight years experience in development and a proven-track record of fundraising.
- Proven success in areas of major gifts and corporate giving. Capital campaign strategy and management is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional manner and strong customer orientation.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills and demonstrated ability to strategically assess needs and creatively problem solve.
- Superior organization and attention to detail.
- High energy, outgoing, team player, and a passion for JACCC’s mission are essential.
- Working mastery of computer programs including: G (Google) Suite, Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel, and a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Master's degree or Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) accreditation preferred.
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends and potential international travel.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, and vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com In the subject line of the email, please write "VP of External Relations.” No phone calls please. Applications are due by Friday, September 1, 2017.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.